Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Tips on doing a cheap but nice DIY paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Wlorton: painting a house with a power painter is WAY different than painting a car.
A house (wood) is much MUCH more forgiving. Also, if you run paint on the house, you can just wipe it off. At $160 for 5 gals, you can paint the damn bushes if you want....

To paint JUST one door (granted i have extra material left for touch ups etc) it was roughly $200 for the material....
And my Car is Metalic Indigo or some crap like you mentioned (Dark Navy Blue)

it is not a cheap venture... unless you Schieb or MAACO it. Then it's a cheap job in addition to a cheap bill. Real cheap work... unless you do your prep work...

If you do all your prep, and let them douche paint all over it, you will get a better job than your first DIY will turn out and it will stay well under $500 for a base coat/clear coat with a lower number of coats (ie: 2 base, 2-4 clear)

You will not be able to touch that price.

#'s are estimates dont get on here and be like it's $507.26 for what you are saying...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Wlorton: painting a house with a power painter is WAY different than painting a car.
A house (wood) is much MUCH more forgiving. Also, if you run paint on the house, you can just wipe it off. At $160 for 5 gals, you can paint the damn bushes if you want....
#'s are estimates dont get on here and be like it's $507.26 for what you are saying...
Quoted at about 515 actually... lol jk...
I am looking into a DIYFAF(do it yourself from a friend??) where the fiancee's uncle paints tractors.... I just have to buy paint...
Bright red 7475 something is like that...

I will do all the prep work though... assuming the hood gets figured out before then... well if worse comes to worse... I will pop the dent and do it...

I assume the techniques are a bit similar, and I had 0 runs on the first house I did... but idk if I can work it...

Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran

if you can get over there the weekedn prior and blow SOMETHING through the gun, a little trigger time would be better than none.... hell run some water mixed with syrup through it (4 parts water to 1 part syrup) and see if you can coat something metal with out running it

actually i am being serious. run SOMETHING through the gun and spray SOMETHING flat, smooth, and NOT wood or cardboard. get some trigger time. get a feel for adjusting the flow etc. ANY heads up you have will be better than going at it blind....

or go back to my first post and read up on the DIY paint from the hotlink...

ALSO: please tell me you will not get talked into John Deere Green because he has a bunch on hand he will sell you on the cheap....

Old 02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I think JD green would look awesome! lol
I need to have mine done, too. Luckily, my dad is good friends with a guy who does Automotive Paint. He quoted me 300 bucks to have my hood redone, and that's if he did ALL the work. I've been meaning to ask him how much to have my whole truck re-done, and I do prep work.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

if you can get over there the weekedn prior and blow SOMETHING through the gun, a little trigger time would be better than none.... hell run some water mixed with syrup through it (4 parts water to 1 part syrup) and see if you can coat something metal with out running it

actually i am being serious. run SOMETHING through the gun and spray SOMETHING flat, smooth, and NOT wood or cardboard. get some trigger time. get a feel for adjusting the flow etc. ANY heads up you have will be better than going at it blind....

or go back to my first post and read up on the DIY paint from the hotlink...

ALSO: please tell me you will not get talked into John Deere Green because he has a bunch on hand he will sell you on the cheap....
Nope: IH red... lol

Old 02-21-2010, 01:47 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Well I don't know what I was thinking when I created this thread. My truck does have alot of scratches (some down to the metal, but patched with primer and touchup paint (but the colors don't match up)), but it doesn't look all that bad. Maybe I should be shifting my focus over to patching all the current scratches and keeping the same color. I actually like the current color. I just had the truck washed at a great car wash near home (I am home for the weekend) with their best wash because I had a car wash ticket book. That wash does a great job (on the body that is. Wheelwells and the chassis are still dirty) and leaves a nice finish (I can see myself on the door) as well as masking some of the fine scratches. Maybe I was thinking of repainting because the car looked terrible at the time with all of the scratches sticking out because I just drove the car through very bad snow conditions and the dirty/salty wet roads afterward. It is hard to keep cars clean where I go to college, even spending like once a week at the car wash (the type with a bay where you put coins in and use a pressure washer to clean it). Can anyone recommend someplace where I can get good touchup paint (NOT WALMART or Autozone. That was where I bought touchup paint before and it was too light) that matches my paint color? What about just using clearcoat touchup to patch light scratches that are just through clearcoat?
Also I don't really have to worry about my chassis or wheelwells rusting anymore if I can't wash the car if we get multiple snowstorms at a time. I cleaned the frame and wheelwells, did a little sanding to get rid of the junk buildup, put Rust Reformer on the low parts of the frame where there was some surface rust, and then used one can per side of the car to paint the outside and lower side of frame (couldn't get to the inside of the frame because I did all this without a jack. Next project maybe.), fuel/brake lines, crossmembers, rear wheelwells, parts of the lower control arms, etc. I used Engine Enamel because of it's oil, fuel and heat resistant properties since some of the painting was near the engine exhaust, so overspray would not cause an issue with that. Also I had some gloss black enamel on hand at the time, so I did the driver side mirror (scratched housing), the antenna and door handles (driver's one was badly scratched from a recent keying incident). I used the same paint to do the roof rack last summer since that was also scratched from the cargo box. Aside from a little paint dust on the roof (no big deal), I did a good job.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:07 AM
BF Veteran

MAACO presidential package 50% off. full paint job $250...

if you do some prep work prior too, AND stick with the silver, AND check out which local MAACO does a non-flybynight job, it would be the best paint job you can get for under $250....

get yourself a nice polishing compound and a variable speed buffer. read up on how to buff (and not just cut all of the paint off of your corners) and buff that pig up, i think you will be surprsed at how many sscratches fade out.

touch up is good to cover bare metal. anything is better than bare metal. even finger nail polish...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 AM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

MAACO presidential package 50% off. full paint job $250...

if you do some prep work prior too, AND stick with the silver, AND check out which local MAACO does a non-flybynight job, it would be the best paint job you can get for under $250....

get yourself a nice polishing compound and a variable speed buffer. read up on how to buff (and not just cut all of the paint off of your corners) and buff that pig up, i think you will be surprised at how many scratches fade out.

touch up is good to cover bare metal. anything is better than bare metal. even finger nail polish...
I would think that that's the best suggest on here right now. A cheap paint job is a cheap paint job not matter what you do. Even with a ton of prep work you're still going to get a cheap paint job.

Touch-up and buff

Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

Ill show and then explain:
Before

After

I painted in one weekend, With a ROLLER and RUSTOLEUM, total cost including prep stuff about 80 bucks, dries in 24hrs and came out awesome, in fact it was so good looking we painted my buddies project 82 stang Regal Red the same way

Old 02-21-2010, 11:08 PM
BF Veteran

dude.... go to page 1 and click my first hot link

Quick Reply: Tips on doing a cheap but nice DIY paint job?