Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 AM
jaybird33081 is on a distinguished road
Default touch up paint?

Ok, so the lower part of the drivers side door has paint flaking off. It is about the size of a tennis ball. There is no rust its just the paint coming off and smooth grey under it. So I am assuming that i can just pick up touch up paint at any auto store. But, how do i match the color and what is the process of applying it. It sure doesnt have to be perfect i just dont want it to rust.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to find the RPO code list in your glove box. The paint code will be after 'BC/CC' at the bottom of the list.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM

umm yea, I may of, sort of, just maybe, might have lost that sticker that was in the glove box lol I know, I am hopeless.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can also take your VIN to a GM dealership and have them run it. They should be able to tell you what all of the options were on the truck, including the paint code. If you go this route, get the 'WA' paint code, not just the RPO code for the paint as the RPO code can mean different things for the same year, based on the vehicle it came on. Some paint shops can get mixed up.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

If your truck is maroon (like Mine) your color is probably "Dark Cherry"
if that is the case your code is WA9088
I picked up some from ebay, not sure if you will find any on there now or not.
I also have bought Duplicolor spray paint from a local auto parts store.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 AM

yea mines the maroon. So i will look at the dark cherry. Whats the trick to applying it?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Starting Member

Well for the spray its a little tricky, and mine turned out good just because all i was doing was the bowtie. so is didnt have to be a PERFECT match with # of coats and Clear and such, but the bottle touch up paint is great. just smooth light coats, take your time. you will probably need 3 coats, just be careful and paint "inside the lines" (the bare metal should be lower than the paint which makes it easy to stay inside) hope that makes sense and helps.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 AM

Thank you Hawk, it all does help alot. This is my first time touching up paint. Like I said before, I am not to worried about making it beautiful since its at the bottom of my door. I just want to make sure it doesnt start rusting.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Default Paint??

Ok, after getting under my truck i realized i am missing alot more paint that i thought. Along the whole bottom under the truck the bottom of the rocker panels i think they are called. All the paint is missing but no rust just the dull grey. I just want to stop it from rusting. Is there like a spray paint clear coat or anything like that i can just coat the spots with? I dont care one bit about color. I just want to stop rust from starting?

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-08-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: MERGING RELATED THREADS
Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Starting Member

there sure is
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=166
good ol Rustoleum

Quick Reply: touch up paint?