Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   5.3LS vs 5.7 vortec swap?? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/5-3ls-vs-5-7-vortec-swap-84176/)

4.3vortec 01-31-2014 09:10 PM

5.3LS vs 5.7 vortec swap??

ok, so ive been wondering around the internet for the last few weeks and learning as much as i can about doing the 5.3LS vortec swap.

but, my question is. what would be better? i know the 5.7 everything is plug in play (be sides the injectors and a few others)
the complete package would come out to be around 1500$ for engine computer engine mounts and headers.

the 5.3LS would come out to be around 1300$ for engine computer engine mounts headers and a few little things, i know i should do "alot" more time looking but, ive spent over 45 hours on my laptop looking on the internet about this question. The question is, do i need a new oil pan on the 5.3LS engine for a 2wd blazer?????
and another little question is would it be worth it to spend the extra 150$ to upgrade to the 6.0??

when it comes to mechanics i know 90% of it all. i can do wiring welding engine work ect. so im not worried about it.

i need your guys help. Again, i know this question has been asked 1,000 times, but ive read a lot, and only need to know the advantages of having the 5.3(or 6.0)LS over the 5.7.
thanks in advance

KM346 01-31-2014 11:47 PM

Im surprised you quoted the 5.7 as being more expensive. Id say it would be the significantly less expensive swap all said and done. Do you know of the wiring harness / computer swap you will need for a LS swap? Also you'll have to notch and mod the frame or rework the compressor mounting spot if you want to run AC with a LS. Not sure on the oil pan on a 2wd.. I know 4x4's guys use the hummer pan, but there are many other different options.

IMO it depends what you want out of the truck. LS engines will make a ton more HP if speed is what your after, they'll also get better MPG.

Smitty Smithsonite 02-01-2014 07:39 AM

IMHO, I'd stay away from anything modern. Reason is simple - $$$$. If it were me, I'd toss all the electronics for a dirt simple carb. & HEI ... but that's just me. With a little effort, you can get some seriously modern MPG's out of a carb, and you retain the ability to make roadside repairs, if needed, with a flat head screwdriver instead of a $2,000 scan tool and laptop.

The 5.7 or 350 is simple, tried and true, easy to fix, and parts are cheap. There's many a 5.3 with low miles out there burning a quart of oil every 700 miles or less, and then there's the piston slap when cold. The 5.3 is a great engine overall ... but parts are usually 2x the cost of old school V8's, and then there's the lack of low end grunt (just my preference) when compared directly to the old 5.7. I prefer the higher torque right off the bottom of the 5.7/350 over the scream-to-6k HP of the 5.3 - it's usually when the engine is screaming that you grab the attention of the cops. I prefer an engine with a boatload of grunt, so I can still have fun without going to 4 grand + every time I want to play. The older engine can be cheaply built to stomp all over the 5.3 too.

The laws of physics still hold true: there's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT. ;)

CAB 02-01-2014 09:25 AM

First thing to do is clearly define what your intended purpose is. There is a huge difference between a streetable engine and a race engine but lots of choices in between. Depending on your wants you may need to modify the rest of the drive train. HP = broken parts when the whole package isn't considered. Think not only about where to start but where you want it to be when finished.

4.3vortec 02-01-2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite (Post 617113)
IMHO, I'd stay away from anything modern. Reason is simple - $$$$. If it were me, I'd toss all the electronics for a dirt simple carb. & HEI ... but that's just me. With a little effort, you can get some seriously modern MPG's out of a carb, and you retain the ability to make roadside repairs, if needed, with a flat head screwdriver instead of a $2,000 scan tool and laptop.

The 5.7 or 350 is simple, tried and true, easy to fix, and parts are cheap. There's many a 5.3 with low miles out there burning a quart of oil every 700 miles or less, and then there's the piston slap when cold. The 5.3 is a great engine overall ... but parts are usually 2x the cost of old school V8's, and then there's the lack of low end grunt (just my preference) when compared directly to the old 5.7. I prefer the higher torque right off the bottom of the 5.7/350 over the scream-to-6k HP of the 5.3 - it's usually when the engine is screaming that you grab the attention of the cops. I prefer an engine with a boatload of grunt, so I can still have fun without going to 4 grand + every time I want to play. The older engine can be cheaply built to stomp all over the 5.3 too.

The laws of physics still hold true: there's no replacement for DISPLACEMENT. ;)

well here, the 5.7 engine is about 1200$ for one with 150k on it. the 5.3 is about 500$ with 102k on it. i can get a 6.0 for 700$ with 140k on it. thats why im thinking about a 4.8/5.3/6.0 swap instead of the 5.7 swap and the fact of im gonna be driving alot for collage soon. so i need a good running engine that gets good gas millage for the road.

4.3vortec 02-01-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by CAB (Post 617128)
First thing to do is clearly define what your intended purpose is. There is a huge difference between a streetable engine and a race engine but lots of choices in between.

my plan is to get good power and still make better MPG then the ol' 4.3 thats in the truck now. i dont care if the thing will spin the tires or anything, i just want more power and better fuel millage.

CAB 02-01-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 4.3vortec (Post 617130)
my plan is to get good power and still make better MPG then the ol' 4.3 thats in the truck now. i dont care if the thing will spin the tires or anything, i just want more power and better fuel millage.

Given your intentions, if it were me, I would go with the cheapest and easiest conversion or the best overall motor you can source. HP/torque/mileage are close to being a wash in a stock configuration between the three since any one will net you what your looking to achieve over the 4.3.

How are you getting these motors so cheap?

4.3vortec 02-01-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by KM346 (Post 617106)
Im surprised you quoted the 5.7 as being more expensive. Id say it would be the significantly less expensive swap all said and done. Do you know of the wiring harness / computer swap you will need for a LS swap? Also you'll have to notch and mod the frame or rework the compressor mounting spot if you want to run AC with a LS. Not sure on the oil pan on a 2wd.. I know 4x4's guys use the hummer pan, but there are many other different options.

IMO it depends what you want out of the truck. LS engines will make a ton more HP if speed is what your after, they'll also get better MPG.

down here in Mississippi the LS engine is a lot cheaper for the reason of there are a lot cheaper is for the fact of the people will total the truck and scrap the thing with 102k on it. the 5.7 350 engines will be driven till 250+ on the truck. i would like to do the 4.8/5.3/6.0 swap just because i like the engine, ive worked on them alot (tune up's not bad things) and i know the problems. the 5.7's i really dont like the fuel injection on them... i like the injectors set-up more then the spider injectors. and it just looks a hell of alot better under the hood with the LS1 intake on it then the 5.7. i know about notching the frame and im ok with that, but im only running a 4x2 so im not sure if ill need a new pan, because ive seen people who will need to use a new one then i seen a s10 that used the stock pan (4x4 but took everything out)

im manly trying to make a good dependable truck that gets good MPG cruising and when i punch it will put the power down. i don't really mind the wireing and notching for the A/C. but i need to know if what Oil Pan i need to run for a 2 wheel drive frame, if i didint say before the truck i want to swap with is a 2002 chevy blazer LS with of corse the 4.3 vortec with the 4L60-e trans with about 170,000 on it. the engine in it needs about 900$ in work, so a swap will be in mind. haha sorry about the long responce.

OH i forgot to mention i'm only 17 so my wallet is not that "fat" if you catch my drift, so i'm trying to keep it as low as possible. im gonna keep the engine stock so its cheap.

again thanks for the reply. :)

KM346 02-01-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3vortec (Post 617132)
down here in Mississippi the LS engine is a lot cheaper for the reason of there are a lot cheaper is for the fact of the people will total the truck and scrap the thing with 102k on it. the 5.7 350 engines will be driven till 250+ on the truck. i would like to do the 4.8/5.3/6.0 swap just because i like the engine, ive worked on them alot (tune up's not bad things) and i know the problems. the 5.7's i really dont like the fuel injection on them... i like the injectors set-up more then the spider injectors. and it just looks a hell of alot better under the hood with the LS1 intake on it then the 5.7. i know about notching the frame and im ok with that, but im only running a 4x2 so im not sure if ill need a new pan, because ive seen people who will need to use a new one then i seen a s10 that used the stock pan (4x4 but took everything out)

im manly trying to make a good dependable truck that gets good MPG cruising and when i punch it will put the power down. i don't really mind the wireing and notching for the A/C. but i need to know if what Oil Pan i need to run for a 2 wheel drive frame, if i didint say before the truck i want to swap with is a 2002 chevy blazer LS with of corse the 4.3 vortec with the 4L60-e trans with about 170,000 on it. the engine in it needs about 900$ in work, so a swap will be in mind. haha sorry about the long responce.

OH i forgot to mention i'm only 17 so my wallet is not that "fat" if you catch my drift, so i'm trying to keep it as low as possible. im gonna keep the engine stock so its cheap.

again thanks for the reply. :)

I think you just answered your own question. LS engine FTW... IMO its the better choice anyways, just slightly more work.

Check here for oil pan info... a quick search told me that if you run / make raised engine mounts you can make it work with the stock pan. But i would think notching the crossmember or running the 2wd pan below would be the better choice. Don't want to run into hood clearance issues.

LS engine oil pans - all of them - S-10 Forum

S10 LS Oilpan Two Wheel Drive :: LS1/LSX Mounts/Headers for S10 V8 Conversion :: S10V8.com Parts Store

Edit: Also check here for more info / parts.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

4.3vortec 02-01-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by KM346 (Post 617143)
I think you just answered your own question. LS engine FTW... IMO its the better choice anyways, just slightly more work.

Check here for oil pan info... a quick search told me that if you run / make raised engine mounts you can make it work with the stock pan. But i would think notching the crossmember or running the 2wd pan below would be the better choice. Don't want to run into hood clearance issues.

LS engine oil pans - all of them - S-10 Forum

S10 LS Oilpan Two Wheel Drive :: LS1/LSX Mounts/Headers for S10 V8 Conversion :: S10V8.com Parts Store

Edit: Also check here for more info / parts.

V8 conversion manuals, parts for V8 S10, Datzun Z, Jaguar, Chevy TPI & TBI, Colorado, Astro Van V8, Volvo 200 & 700

thanks for the response, i decided im gonna do the LS swap. my grandfather went out and got me the engine today. its a 6.0 vortec (of course) out of a 02 Chevy 2500. its only got 55,000 on it and we paid 900 for engine wiring harness and computer :icon_woot: so when i get more time and money ill be starting the thread of building the truck up! :) its gonna be a kick ass build.