Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   71 K5 Brake Upgrades (LMC Hydraulic or larger Vacuum system) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/71-k5-brake-upgrades-lmc-hydraulic-larger-vacuum-system-94977/)

Steve Mabee 07-15-2017 11:22 PM

71 K5 Brake Upgrades (LMC Hydraulic or larger Vacuum system)

I recently bought a 71 K5 Blazer. It's amazing. Even with discs in the front this does does not want to stop. Brakes are in good condition, rotors recently turned.

Anyway. I'm a newbie so I'm needing some help deciding on upgrades.

My mechanic is recommending a changeover on the rear from rotor to disc. He also recommended upgrading the vacuum system to a larger system. Something about using a 1 ton system rather than the original 1/2 ton system.

This led me to find this LMC hydraulic kit.

Hydraulic Brake Assist Kit | 1967-72 Chevy & GMC Truck 1969-72 Chevy Blazer & GMC Jimmy 1967-72 Chevy & GMC Suburban | LMC Truck'

Can anyone help me here? I do a lot of city driving and this is my daily driver. Here in Nashville there's lots of short stopping as we apparently have outlawed the usage of turn signals.

ChuckNTruck 07-16-2017 01:02 PM

Is this what you are looking to do with the 1 ton booster swap?
The 67-72 One Ton Brake Booster Swap Guide ***PICS*** - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Steve Mabee 07-16-2017 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck (Post 678435)

That's a great guide. A buddy was telling me that if I went with the hydraulic system that it potentially feeds off the power steering pump and that if the power steering goes out, so does the brakes. Not sure if this is true to be honest.

ChuckNTruck 07-16-2017 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Mabee (Post 678436)
That's a great guide. A buddy was telling me that if I went with the hydraulic system that it potentially feeds off the power steering pump and that if the power steering goes out, so does the brakes. Not sure if this is true to be honest.

This is accurate to a point. With hydraulic brakes if you loose power steering you loose "Power" brakes. The brakes will still work but the pedal will just be a lot harder to press down. Same concept as if you loose power steering. you can still steer but its a lot harder to turn the wheel.
Many trucks especially diesels still use hydraulic brake boosters. If you lost brakes completely when the engine shut off manufactures would not put them on vehicles.

Steve Mabee 07-16-2017 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck (Post 678439)
This is accurate to a point. With hydraulic brakes if you loose power steering you loose "Power" brakes. The brakes will still work but the pedal will just be a lot harder to press down. Same concept as if you loose power steering. you can still steer but its a lot harder to turn the wheel.
Many trucks especially diesels still use hydraulic brake boosters. If you lost brakes completely when the engine shut off manufactures would not put them on vehicles.

Thanks for the explanation.