Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Adding a second battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Beginning Member
94camaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding a second battery?

Has anybody added a second battery on their 96 blazer? I would like another battery for lights and such. I know there is no space under the hood to place another battery but could i put oneout backand one under the hood?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Adding a second battery?

I also want to put a second battery in my 96. The only place I think one would fit is in the cargo area. Wish we had more room under our hoods.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless it was completely sealed, i would be leery to install a battery inside with me.

There are some marine battery boxes that might do just fine.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Beginning Member
94camaro is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes more room under the hood would be great. I might wire one out back and use a marine battery box so it would be sealed off from unexpected leaks. I dont think there is ANY room under the hood for a second alternator so that is out of the question i guess ill be looking into a second battery. I am just wondering if it would be better to move both batterys back there or leave one under the hood.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

I have two additional batteries installed in the back of my truck, getting ready to install 2 more. Your best bet is to find a dry cell battery, aka kinetik, powermaster etc., and install it in the cargo area. They are sealed so you wont have to worry about venting it or it tiping over and spilling

Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ive seen a few installed under the rear end where a spare tire goes on pickups and 4-doors. The installs I've seen have the 2nd battery back there, with a marine battery switch in the engine bay, connected by 0 ga. Looked very clean.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member
beatinPearls is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Blazer that i installed a second battery in the cargo area and tied the two batt. positives together with 1/0 welding cable. grounded to a stud i put where a mounting hook was and ran another ground from that stud to the frame under the vehicle I went with an Optima battery cause i had one tip over and acid ate up my carpet. was pissed. and i added a second alternator where my a/c compressor was. just had to make a small bracket and used some spacers i had and fit like a champ. i believe i have pics, will add them when i get home.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Beginning Member

[url=http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/grant-nitrodaves/DSC01633.jpg]

this is an old pic and the only one that shows both alternators, but you can see whats going on.
its currently in pieces and am certainly cleaning up all the wiring while im waiting on the engine.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you buy a mount for a 2nd alt in the a/c area or do you have to make it yourself???

Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Beginning Member

i used a bracket i had off of a 95 vette that holds power steering reservoir to the pass cyl head. matched up perfect. the engine is apart so i can post a pic of the bracket if u need.
hell, i can bolt it all back to the bracket and take a pic. think that would be better.

Quick Reply: Adding a second battery?