Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Crazy Idea??.. lol (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/crazy-idea-lol-64491/)

Irocz327 10-29-2011 03:08 AM

Crazy Idea??.. lol

So call me random or just off the wall but the other day I was under my truck considering just cuttin the muffler off & just running the exhaust out the side.. (Just considering don't jump cause I know it's not the greatest performance upgrade.) but any ways I noticed that the fuel tank is about the same length as the exhaust/muffler & wondered if a guy could but an extra fuel tank in place of the muffler spot & some how tap it in to the existing tank or run it as an aux. tank. Now I know there'd be alot of custom fab stuff (mounts, lines, Pump?, etc.. ) but what are your guys's thoughts.. am I just crazy or possible good idea w/ the right resources & money & time?

Mczuk 10-29-2011 11:47 AM

could it be done? yes. Worth it? probably not. Legal to have the exhaust exiting before the back doors? No, I don't think so.

warthogdriver 10-29-2011 03:44 PM

one big problem would be getting the gas from side to side without hitting the drive shaft. i would imagine you would need to run a line from bottom to bottom to have gravity fed..or you would need an additional elec pump to send it to the other tank.

secondly, being lucky enough, i am guessing you also live in a state without emmision regs...i dumped my exhaust right at the muffler...no issues and sounds better.

FsTFwRd 10-29-2011 07:52 PM

My old 86 F150 had 2 tanks with an electric switch. That was pretty cool, I always liked it. A guy down the street from me pulls a car hauler with his dually, and he has a 90ga tank behind his cab off of a crashed dump truck. Somehow he makes that 90 gallon keep his factory tank full for a long time.
You could always slap a switch from an old dual tank ford on there, but I have no clue how to make it show up on your gas gauge. Have 2 I reckon.

TZFBird 11-09-2014 04:09 PM

I'm going to bump this. I just changed out my tank and noticed the same on my '95. However I also noticed there are slots for straps on the passengers side as well. By doing a 2" body lift there is enough room to run the exhaust above the driveshaft and cross into the center just after the transfer case.
I am still thinking about connecting the two tanks safely. If I had to come up with something quickly I would install a tank and second sending unit. Tie the fuel lines together and use a check valve in each line where they come together. Use a DPDT switch that will disconnect the first fuel pump and level sending unit. It will then turn on the second pump and level sending unit and display on the factory gauge.
Dual tanks is not for everyone but if you are building a trail rig it would be totally worth it to double your range.

TVINCE0913 04-28-2015 07:26 PM

Just came across this post after a lot of searching. I am also interested in an auxiliary fuel tank set-up, but haven't been able to find much on it. Any progress on it or any new ideas? Or have you ever heard of a swap for a larger single fuel tank or any sort of Blazer-specific kit for an auxiliary fuel tank? I also have a 95 Blazer and am looking to double the range on it - I agree it would be totally worth it.

TZFBird 05-01-2015 03:11 PM

Aside from what I had posted earlier I had also thought of just connecting the two tanks close to the bottom. I have had an -AN fitting welded to a tank in the past and it worked out great. They are a lot thicker than they seem. So if you wanted to weld one on each tank and then run a line between them that would work. The only problem is that the driveshaft would run right there and could cause big problems as the suspension raises or drops as well as a point to catch on anything. If the tanks are then connected at the top as well to ballance ventilation. Filling may be slow going unless something large like -AN12(3/4") were used but it would equalize to fill it to double capacity.

It would not be an extremely cheap modification but it would be easy and would work if that's what you really wanted.
If I had to guess it would be close to a $200 project if you did it yourself plus the cost of running new exhaust.

TVINCE0913 05-06-2015 09:19 PM

Ok thanks, good to know. I've been thinking about it some more - have you ever thought about taking out the spare tire from underneath the rear and using that space to mount another tank? It seems like that space could easily fit another tank without interfering with the driveshaft or exhaust much. Off the top of my head I believe first-gen Jeep Liberty's and Jeep Patriots have rear-mounted fuel tanks in that general area - could one be fitted up to work in the Blazer spare tire area? What do you think?

TVINCE0913 05-06-2015 09:37 PM

Here we go - Custom 22-Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank | Expedition Portal