Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member
MadMerritt is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust systems

Gday guys n girls
My 99 Blazer still has the factory exhaust fitted & i really
wanna free up some power by fitting an after market system. What systems do ya'll recommend?
Big bore Single? Twin? Any advise is appreciated

Cheers

Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MadMerritt
Gday guys n girls
My 99 Blazer still has the factory exhaust fitted & i really
wanna free up some power by fitting an after market system. What systems do ya'll recommend?
Big bore Single? Twin? Any advise is appreciated

Cheers
With rust just starting to come through my original muffler on my 1999 4dr, I replaced it with the Dynomax cat-back kit two months ago. It is super easy to do as a pure unbolt/bolt-on procedure. If I remember correctly I did not even have to jack up the truck. It has a 2" pipe all the way back that matches what goes into the catalytic converter and which is larger than the stock muffler and exit pipes. I can't say if it added much power or economy though. I did not do any before/after tests. Perhaps someone else on the forum can speak to that.

I'm sure there are better ways to open up the system even more with a proper dual exhaust system, cross pipes, etc. however for the ease and price (~$140) the Dynomax system is worth considering.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
With rust just starting to come through my original muffler on my 1999 4dr, I replaced it with the Dynomax cat-back kit two months ago. It is super easy to do as a pure unbolt/bolt-on procedure. If I remember correctly I did not even have to jack up the truck. It has a 2" pipe all the way back that matches what goes into the catalytic converter and which is larger than the stock muffler and exit pipes. I can't say if it added much power or economy though. I did not do any before/after tests. Perhaps someone else on the forum can speak to that.

I'm sure there are better ways to open up the system even more with a proper dual exhaust system, cross pipes, etc. however for the ease and price (~$140) the Dynomax system is worth considering.

Cheers Christine_208...being in Australia its hard to buy an "off the shelf" system unfortunatly.... I have the equipment to make my own up to 2.5in but am not sure wherther to go single 2.5in or twin 2.5in. ive also been looking at header but nobody makes them for a right hand drive blazer

Old 11-22-2017, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran

Cheers Christine_208...being in Australia its hard to buy an "off the shelf" system unfortunatly.... I have the equipment to make my own up to 2.5in but am not sure wherther to go single 2.5in or twin 2.5in. ive also been looking at header but nobody makes them for a right hand drive blazer
I should have guessed you were from "down under" when you addressed us with "G'day".

Right-hand drive Blazer!? Could you post pictures? Of the interior and of the engine compartment? I ask about the later especially as I am continually amazed at how the GM engineers crammed so much into our little Blazers. I know this by how long it takes to unbolt everything in the way of the thing that I need to repair. LOL

Back to your situation, does your y-pipe direct the exhaust to the right or left side? On mine it goes to the right (our passenger) side with the muffler and tail-pipe on the right side too.

For reference, here is the cat-back kit I installed. It is actually a 2.5" system. You might find it useful reference.

Single - 2.5" Cat-Back System - Super Turbo? Muffler - P/N: 17366 - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

Good Luck

P.S. According to the Walker/Dynomax website, this kit I installed should add 6hp and 11 lb-ft of torque.

Last edited by christine_208; 11-22-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I should have guessed you were from "down under" when you addressed us with "G'day".

Right-hand drive Blazer!? Could you post pictures? Of the interior and of the engine compartment? I ask about the later especially as I am continually amazed at how the GM engineers crammed so much into our little Blazers. I know this by how long it takes to unbolt everything in the way of the thing that I need to repair. LOL

Back to your situation, does your y-pipe direct the exhaust to the right or left side? On mine it goes to the right (our passenger) side with the muffler and tail-pipe on the right side too.

For reference, here is the cat-back kit I installed. It is actually a 2.5" system. You might find it useful reference.

Single - 2.5" Cat-Back System - Super Turbo? Muffler - P/N: 17366 - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

Good Luck

P.S. According to the Walker/Dynomax website, this kit I installed should add 6hp and 11 lb-ft of torque.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I drive Road Trains for living & spend time away on the road...The exhaust runs down the right side of my car same as your Blazers (so exhaust is beneath drivers seat for me)
Thanks for the link to the system your running. Ive got an idea of what to run on mine now, so time to dig out my welder & pipe bender

Last edited by MadMerritt; 12-07-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM
BF Veteran

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I drive Road Trains for living & spend time away on the road...The exhaust runs down the right side of my car same as your Blazers (so exhaust is beneath drivers seat for me)
Thanks for the link to the system your running. Ive got an idea of what to run on mine now, so time to dig out my welder & pipe bender
I'm glad what I posted might be of use to you. I'm sure we'd all be interested in your final solution.

As for the right-hand drive Blazer pics; it just seems so "wrong" to have it "right." (Sorry for the bad joke. LOL)

Does having the steering column on the right-side make getting the #4 spark plug out as difficult as it is to get the #3 out when the steering is on the left?