Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Help Me Pick Which V8 To Swap In (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/help-me-pick-v8-swap-85226/)

Burnt0ast 04-03-2014 11:04 PM

Help Me Pick Which V8 To Swap In

This more future planning if anything, but I am 100% sure I am going to do a swap. I'll take a couple weeks off work near the end of the summer and gather about five friends. (I also might look into getting a job at a shop soon if possible.

So I have a 1994 s10 Blazer 4x4 (1st Gen) I want to do a v8 swap, I will be buying the JTR guide and I've watched a few videos I just don't know which engine would be best. I don't need a staggering amount of HP and Torque I want above 190 for both to make things fun but I also just really want to get a little better mileage and reliability than my 4.3 Vortec. I am leaning towards pulling an engine from a donor car which would probably leave my options as:

LT1 - More Power
L99 - Better MPG - supposedly right?

Otherwise maybe I'd go down buying a used engine, (Don't think I could afford a new one plus I know that even if I kept this truck forever it wouldn't be a DD forever). If I choose a used engine I'd want an LS engine (if the swap is still the same as an LT engine), because they're both more powerful and I would assume get better MPG. I know that this would cost more than just having a donor car, but it's an avenue I want to explore. My potential choices are.

LS1 - Cheaper Car Choice (maybe even donor cars still)
LS2 - More Power than More Power :P

If staying with the LT engines is significantly cheaper and not significantly less fuel efficient then I'd probably just go with that. Obviously MPG isn't a huge issue or I wouldn't be pushing for a v8 I'd want a 4 Banger, but still getting better mpg with my v8 is more important than a huge amount of HP.

Thank you for reading!

abig84 04-04-2014 05:52 PM

its been a while since i did my v8 swap, but there are actually places that deal in camaro/corvette wrecks. a lot of people would go that route cause you can get the entire set up, engine, transmission, wiring harness, computer, etc. when i did mine i just kinda asked around and searched the internet before i found my v8. i just swapped in a carb'ed 350 in a 95 s10 pick up.

it was quick but wasnt crazy fast, wish i would have went with a corvette motor or something faster

Xter 05-27-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt0ast (Post 623714)
This more future planning if anything, but I am 100% sure I am going to do a swap. I'll take a couple weeks off work near the end of the summer and gather about five friends. (I also might look into getting a job at a shop soon if possible.

So I have a 1994 s10 Blazer 4x4 (1st Gen) I want to do a v8 swap, I will be buying the JTR guide and I've watched a few videos I just don't know which engine would be best. I don't need a staggering amount of HP and Torque I want above 190 for both to make things fun but I also just really want to get a little better mileage and reliability than my 4.3 Vortec. I am leaning towards pulling an engine from a donor car which would probably leave my options as:

LT1 - More Power
L99 - Better MPG - supposedly right?

Otherwise maybe I'd go down buying a used engine, (Don't think I could afford a new one plus I know that even if I kept this truck forever it wouldn't be a DD forever). If I choose a used engine I'd want an LS engine (if the swap is still the same as an LT engine), because they're both more powerful and I would assume get better MPG. I know that this would cost more than just having a donor car, but it's an avenue I want to explore. My potential choices are.

LS1 - Cheaper Car Choice (maybe even donor cars still)
LS2 - More Power than More Power :P

If staying with the LT engines is significantly cheaper and not significantly less fuel efficient then I'd probably just go with that. Obviously MPG isn't a huge issue or I wouldn't be pushing for a v8 I'd want a 4 Banger, but still getting better mpg with my v8 is more important than a huge amount of HP.

Thank you for reading!

If you don't mind going to the junkyard and pulling it yourself, sometimes you can find an LQ4/LQ9 with the 4L80e and wiring cheap. Just look in 02 and up Silverados.