Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   HP Tuners stock engine. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/hp-tuners-stock-engine-98962/)

Dannyn01 02-26-2019 06:22 AM

HP Tuners stock engine.

Hey all, I’ve been looking into getting HP Tuners to get the most out of my 4.3 Vortec without doing much work to it. Right now I have a CAI and a 3” cat back exhaust. I also had a tuned PCM sent to me by PCM4Less (I think). Will I be able to do anything with the MPVI2 from HPTuners? Would like a little more torque at least as I’ll be towing a trailer really soon.
Thanks!
- Danny

chevyriders 02-26-2019 07:13 AM

From what I've heard, on the blazers you dont get much of anything more out of a mostly stock engine with a tune.

Imo where it would benefit you would be the ability to adjust shift points for towing

Dannyn01 02-26-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by chevyriders (Post 703875)
From what I've heard, on the blazers you dont get much of anything more out of a mostly stock engine with a tune.

Imo where it would benefit you would be the ability to adjust shift points for towing

So then if I add a cam and some other goodies to a 4.3 that MPVI2 thing will work for me? Trying to see my options lol

chevyriders 02-26-2019 09:45 AM

Yup, you always want to tune after a cam. You'll want to do valvesprings with the cam. Iirc you can safely run up to .5 lift and 270 duration cam without any headwork using ls6 valvesprings and comp cams 787 retainers. That would leave you a little bit of room to deck the heads for slightly higher compression if you wanted as well.

I'm running a comp 266hr - it's a mild cam, but works well for me because its optimal rpm range is lower rpm. I think that would work for you too since you tow.

cleburne red 02-26-2019 03:18 PM

Definitely want a smaller cam for towing. Big lift and duration will kill low end torque, which is gonna suck for towing

Rock18 02-26-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dannyn01 (Post 703869)
I also had a tuned PCM sent to me by PCM4Less (I think).

So you want to re-tune an already custom PCM...? Unless you're wanting to re-program it often that would be a pretty expensive way to get a negligible difference.

Dannyn01 02-26-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rock18 (Post 703924)
So you want to re-tune an already custom PCM...? Unless you're wanting to re-program it often that would be a pretty expensive way to get a negligible difference.

i figured if they sent me the PCM with the file on it then it must be a sort of “base tune” and definitely not tuned to the engines full potential since it was just a pcm mailed to me. Makes sense?

Rock18 02-26-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dannyn01 (Post 703931)
i figured if they sent me the PCM with the file on it then it must be a sort of “base tune” and definitely not tuned to the engines full potential since it was just a pcm mailed to me. Makes sense?

Depends on what you selected from PCMforless I guess, but it's basically a different way of accomplishing the same thing. You either program your existing PCM with a tune, or swap in a pre-tuned one.

There's only so much "full potential" in these engines without significant modifications, and if you've swapped in a custom PCM you're basically already there. At the end of the day it's still an older naturally aspirated V6 and you can't change that by playing with the computer.

Even a tune/PCM swap just barely makes a difference over stock, and the difference between a custom ECM and tweaking it yourself would be even less. A programmer might be helpful if you wanted to make adjustments to your current programming (fuel octane, tire size, after a cam swap etc.) but that's about it. It's also almost ~$400 once you buy the "credits" needed, and frankly I'd want to put that ~$400 somewhere else in my truck.

Dannyn01 02-27-2019 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by chevyriders (Post 703887)
Yup, you always want to tune after a cam. You'll want to do valvesprings with the cam. Iirc you can safely run up to .5 lift and 270 duration cam without any headwork using ls6 valvesprings and comp cams 787 retainers. That would leave you a little bit of room to deck the heads for slightly higher compression if you wanted as well.

I'm running a comp 266hr - it's a mild cam, but works well for me because its optimal rpm range is lower rpm. I think that would work for you too since you tow.

what do you have for a tune Chevyriders?

chevyriders 02-27-2019 09:02 AM

Nothing yet, the MPVI2 I ordered is supposed to be here by Friday, so by sunday I'll have my engine back in and be starting to tune with it.