Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Hypertech power programer III (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/hypertech-power-programer-iii-67787/)

Little Roober 02-08-2012 12:57 PM

Hypertech power programer III

I've got a guy trying to sell me one for $100. To make this short and sweet, are the gains worth it and is this a good brand name?

Thanks,
Steve

El_Beautor 02-08-2012 03:01 PM

I got mine for the same price. As for shifts, I found it make a pretty good difference. It shifts in the right places now, and the shifts are a lot firmer. I didn't notice any change whatsoever as for power, although I don't run premium (I'm too cheap). There's another member on here that did some testing and found the performance tune with premium fuel made a pretty significant difference (10-15ish HP if I remember correctly).

Little Roober 02-08-2012 03:10 PM

Yea, I'm too broke for premium. :p That's good to hear though. Sounds like a good deal.

Longer02 02-08-2012 03:50 PM

The only things those are good for is changing tire size, fan temp, etc. Get a real tune from a reputable source.

nj4x4blaze 02-08-2012 04:24 PM

I have one for my truck. Works great to change tire size, gear ratio, shift points and shift firmness. Only thing you can't change is fan temp. I've kept the program at 87 octane for the reason that 93 octane is way too expensive. As for the price, thats cheap but you wanna make sure its for your year truck and that its unlocked. These programers normally lock onto one vin number.

Little Roober 02-08-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze (Post 496287)
As for the price, thats cheap but you wanna make sure its for your year truck and that its unlocked. These programers normally lock onto one vin number.

He said he used it on a 96 or 97 ZR2, so it should work. I didn't know about the lock though. Is there any way to re-set it?

AJBert 02-08-2012 07:55 PM

Tell him you want to hook it up first to see if it is locked up. If he won't agree, run away from this deal. If it hooks up, buy it. If it doesn't hook up and he still has the vehicle he had it on he would need to reset said vehicle back to stock. If he doesn't have the vehicle the only way to free the programmer is to send it back to Hypertech and pay the same price as a new one.

It is a good deal and a very reputable company. I bought mine for the sole purpose of changing tire size and have to say I am very happy with the trans shifts, too.

Not so much on the HP/MPG increase, though at 87 here, too.

Little Roober 02-08-2012 08:13 PM

I guess I should have added this also...He said he totaled his ZR2 and then converted it back to stock with the programmer. And since then it's just been sittin on a shelf. I'll definitely hook it up before he drives away with $100. Thanks for the input guys.

nj4x4blaze 02-09-2012 08:05 AM

Sounds like its still locked. Ask for the model number on the programer just to make sure it'll work on your truck. You can also contact Hyper Tech regarding how to unlock it. I think I still have my book to my controller, if so I'll look to see what it says about unlocking it.