Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

performance chip

Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road
Default performance chip

Ive been looking into getting a performance chip for my 4.3 tbi. Ive seen quiet a bit of selection to choose from. My research hasn't turned up much as far as actual people who have them giving oppinions on them. I dont really care so much about the horsepower as I do the gas mileage. If it worjs as described it'll pay for itself in a few months. I was hoping to get input here on what's the best to go with. Also I was hoping to get input on how to program it for optimal out put. Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Chips are a waste of money. Get your computer reflashed, you WILL see improvements. this seems to be the company people on here use Home | PCM for Less

Old 05-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Well my ecm and proms are brand new. I know what they'll do as far as horsepower but im interested in mpgs

Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Tell them what you want. Hp, MPG, torque. etc. They`ll program to your needs.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

I realize this is an old thread but when ever I want good info on my Blazer I search the BF first. It just so happens I will prolly be replacing the 4.3 in my 96 soon. The last time I replaced a V-6 was 30 yrs ago. That was a 1972 Mercury Capri. Back then I figured if it was out on an engine stand why not do the stuff that's miserable to do when it's in the vehicle. Freeze plugs sure, But how about some power. I consulted Crane Cams nearby in South FL and they came up with a simply to install performance model for me. I also added headers, dual exhaust and free flow mufflers. It had a lot of get up and go but not much more than stock but those pipes sounded GREAT! Then one night I was driving home from work and another Capri pulled along side to enjoy the sound of my pipes. The car had 5 kids younger than me inside. I waved at them and they bolted away from me like a sling shot without much noise. Turns out it was a 4 cyl with a turbo - FACTORY

A mechanic friend explained all about necessary back pressure on small engines and that the turbo was designed to multiply it's power with it's own exhaust. In my case "open pipes was not the answer." With this little Chevy I already got cut out the rusted out Cat and the clogged up muffler and put in a free flow Dynomax muffler in a nice smooth line. The pipes sound great and seem to actually boost the power a little. If the best answer for maximum blast off is gonna be a cam; I night as well do it now while the motor is out. '96 was the first year of the OBD II CAN so If I can tune it and "Flash the Computer" for equal of better results I would like to go that route. My muffler guy put in what he called a "Bong" to space my O2 sensor after the cat to fool it but my check engine light has been on since. I smell raw fuel often too. I hear that may be an EGR issue but don't understand how that works.

If my post boosts this back up to 2017, maybe somebody here will know just the recipe. I am wide open to ideas. Thanx

Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

This may be helpful and is an actual thread:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/perfor...p-95708/page2/

And then also this:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/perfor...s-69167/page4/

Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
ishmail is on a distinguished road

I just got a performance chip for my 2000 blazer from a company called powertune. I was not expecting much when I bought it and it's just ok, no crazy increase in HP but it does give it more pep. If you want a little more kick then I'd recommend it but don't expect to gain a ton of hp. The company also put together reviews on their site from customers. Some just talking about it and some doing 0-60 tests with and without it. powertune performance chip review

Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Old thread

*THREAD CLOSED*