Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Roof basket/lights and MPG (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/roof-basket-lights-mpg-63588/)

nepa zr2 09-29-2011 10:51 AM

Roof basket/lights and MPG

I'm thinking about getting a roof basket for my 2001 zr2 and was wondering how much of a mpg hit im going to take. I also like the rooftop lights on blazers and was wondering the same thing, how much will this affect my mpg. Also what are your suggestions for the best racks and lights.

Irocz327 09-29-2011 12:06 PM

I was getting about 16-17mpg w/ my bravada before I put the tires/Brush guard/Roof Rack/Lights now I'm getting between 14-17 depending on how much highway/city driving I'm doing. I drive an hr on the highway one way to work everyday & get about 14-15 on average. Hope that helps

Dweeberman 09-29-2011 05:22 PM

Yea you will lose roughly 2-4mpg with the weight and air displacement. I agree with Irocz327...brush guard are my favs as well.

Irocz327 09-30-2011 03:43 AM

As far as roof racks go, I'm gotta Surco w/ the tire carrier add on. It was kinda pricey but it was the only one I could find the was decently priced but didn't look like it'd fall apart if I put anything it lol. I don't know about the ZR2's much but w/ mine it was designed to sit on top of the roof rack "rails" on the truck but I didn't like it looked like it sat way to high so I took the "rails" off & just shorted the main supports on the rack & drilled holes thru & use a couple bolts & washers to side it in the stock rail slides & cranked'em down tight.. hasn't moved on me yet.. *knock on wood* lol

nepa zr2 09-30-2011 07:35 AM

thanks for the replys. Would putting the lights on a brush gaurd instead of the roof save a decent ammount of my already bad mpg?

Dweeberman 09-30-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by nepa zr2 (Post 463689)
thanks for the replys. Would putting the lights on a brush gaurd instead of the roof save a decent ammount of my already bad mpg?

Yea just getting a brush guard with lights is a good route without adding all the extra weight...unless you are constantly maxing out your cargo area and need the extra space...i would stay away from the roof racks (IMO) :)

Irocz327 09-30-2011 12:12 PM

I agree w/ Dweeb that if your that worried about mpg I'd just go w/ the brushguard & Lights. Thou you can always put lights up top on one the cargo rails. Personally I use the lights on my brushguard @ 2am when I'm driving home but if I turn on the roof lights its like having my own personal sun to follow me around sooo much light.

AJBert 10-01-2011 12:02 AM

The great thing about roof racks is that they are removeable. Put it one when you need it, take it off when you don't. I have a Surco that I put on during hunting season, off the rest of the year.

If you want to mount lights on it just add in a plug to disconnect the wires. Keep in mind, adding a basket up top with lights on the basket reduces what you can get under, as in tree limbs.

I learned that the hard way.

nepa zr2 10-01-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Irocz327 (Post 463720)
I agree w/ Dweeb that if your that worried about mpg I'd just go w/ the brushguard & Lights. Thou you can always put lights up top on one the cargo rails. Personally I use the lights on my brushguard @ 2am when I'm driving home but if I turn on the roof lights its like having my own personal sun to follow me around sooo much light.

What brush gaurd is that on your truck? I like the look of it but dislike some of the pricetags on higher-end brands.

tibby 10-01-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Irocz327 (Post 463720)

Yeah, I like the brushguard and lights look. Although I eventually want to get some put up top. But I was worried about the drag as well, mpg issue. Anyone have aerodynamic lights? Or an idea or design lol?