Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   skidplates... will they work? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/skidplates-will-they-work-14043/)

bobdeeznutz 10-29-2007 04:20 PM

skidplates... will they work?

Hey all, this is my first post. I have a 2004 blazer, 4 door, 4x4, ATX. Anyways, I love the off roading performance of this vehicle. It's a lot better than I imagined when I had first looked at the truck. Other than a lift, which are not plenty for this type of truck, I am looking to get new tires and skidplates. As for tires I have been reading around here to see what will fit. I'm looking at a good aggressive AT probably 30" or 31"...

So back to the post. I came across this site while looking for skidplates and was wondering if anyone could tell me if these would fit the blaze. It says they are for a 4x4 crew cab s10, however, I can tell that the front skidplate looks exactly like mine, only metal. Also the transfer case skidplate looks like a lot more coverage than my current. I dont believe I have a front diff skidplate, and my gas tank only has a small cheep (and useless) deflector around the front edge of it. So, I was thinking this would be awesome to throw on the truck, but Iwant to make sure it would work. Anyone know??

Here's the link

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/modin...skidplates.htm

Thanks,
Pat

mdehoogh 10-29-2007 04:55 PM

RE: skidplates... will they work?

i dont think they will... im not sure how much the frame are different between the s10 and blaze but there was a recent post where someone had bought the carbon fber skidplates meant for a ZR2 and they didnt fit on his blazer.. if you go to lmctruck.com and select the catalog for the blazer/jimmy you can look at the different oem skidplates that came with our trucks. some of them say they are for ZR2 but some might fit on yours...

bobdeeznutz 10-29-2007 05:10 PM

Looking at LMC, it seems that when they refer to the different models the only variations are between zr2 and non zr2. I do not see any differences noted for s10/sonoma. Wouldnt that maybe mean that there is no difference (at least frame wise) for the skidplates to bold on? I know that the zr2 is a wider truck (and I'm assuming wider frame) so the mounting points would be different. Correct?

mdehoogh 10-29-2007 05:29 PM

im not sure, i dont think the zr2 has a wider framebut i really dont know. you could always call them and ask

bobdeeznutz 10-29-2007 05:35 PM

good idea. thanks man.

mdehoogh 10-29-2007 05:57 PM

i painted my skidplate afew months agoand it looks awesome... i sprayed rustoleum chrome spraypaint on it and it looks good

Jigg 10-29-2007 10:42 PM

The only difference in skid plates is between ZR2 and non-ZR2. If you found a set of plates off of a non-zr2, they'll fit your truck... but you'll need to buy brackets for the rear-most skid plate ($20 on gmpartsdirect if i remember right).

blazinloud 10-30-2007 12:30 AM

carbon fibre skid plates?

I'd bust those on the first jump....

Jigg 10-30-2007 07:50 AM

The composite skid plates actually tested better than the aluminum ones (stock vs stock) at the GM proving grounds.

bobdeeznutz 10-30-2007 11:18 AM

so composite is the carbon fiber then? and i have also heard the carbon fiber (that come onnewer year zr2's i believe) did hold up better than the aluminum. does anyone have any evidence of this though? or any thought as to why?

thanks guys for you help! i definitely need to get some armor under the truck... i already put a huge dent in one of the cross members