Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

OBD2 Programing/Dumping

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road
Default OBD2 Programing/Dumping

I've been up all night trying to figure out if this is plausible:

Buy a cable that is USB to OBD2.

Run some opensource or Free, or even a lower price software to get performance gains and such?

I looked at all the links and stuff for that one that KYLE uses but it seems like thats explicitly for dumping data, and not for tunes.

I find it hard to believe that no one has made an open source or free program that is capable of flashing the chip with it's own tweaks. Anyone heard of anything?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Zac

Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HP Tuners or EFI Live are gonna be your best bet. They aren't free, but they are the most user friendly and comprehensive tuning suites available and well worth money if you want to get into tuning your vehicle. The reason why these things are not free is due to the amount of time that has gone into the development.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you need actual intermediate hardware between the laptop and OBD connector for writing. That's one reason nothing opensource exists. All the free software in the world won't give you a piece of hardware.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
HP Tuners or EFI Live are gonna be your best bet. They aren't free, but they are the most user friendly and comprehensive tuning suites available and well worth money if you want to get into tuning your vehicle. The reason why these things are not free is due to the amount of time that has gone into the development.
I'm a bit confused by the EFI Live program. And BTW the HP Tuners is a bit crazy for the price, at least my pocketbook lol. With EFI Live it seems like I can just download the program? What do I buy? and If I do purchase something is it going to be strictly tuning, or would I be able to read codes and such?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
1hugeblazer is on a distinguished road

ahhh im in the same boat.. i have the elm cable ( obd2 to usb ) now i just need a program that doesn't hit the pocket book hard...

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 PM

what about megatune? can someone get megatune for the megasquirt standalone to work for tuning our delco ecm? this is bugging me alot and i want to get something to work.. i want to "mess around" with my ecm.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

BUMP!!! does no one read these??

Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How about you contact the people who make megatune...?

I gave two great examples above that work with the stock PCM. While they are not free or even cheap, they work and work VERY well.

Also, while you are at it, read the rules of the forum and abide by them.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
How about you contact the people who make megatune...?

I gave two great examples above that work with the stock PCM. While they are not free or even cheap, they work and work VERY well.

Also, while you are at it, read the rules of the forum and abide by them.

ya the people that made megatune made it for megasqurit stand alone fuel management systems.. it is a very comprehensive program i had it in my Mazda b2200 race truck.. with it i was able to rid my truck of the maf sensor and cram 22lbs boost into it and it loved all of it!! but it needs parameters or something to work with our computers.. im computer savvy but not that savvy..

as for the other programs .. im sure they work wonderful but im no way spending 1800.00 to use it once.. i would sooner just swap out to megasquirt, however i dont think it can control transmission its purely an ECM .. but im gonna look at piggybacking because i would like to put a supercharger on my 4.3 !!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Who do I make a suggestion to about the forum? I read thru the rules, but did not find it;

I suggest you set up a forum or sub-group for "On Board Diagnostics and Data Bus" for OBD OBD1.5 OBDII CAN and all the associated data buses.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Programing/Dumping