Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Throttle Body mod (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/throttle-body-mod-93963/)

ThaDopeShow 01-31-2017 11:41 AM

Throttle Body mod

Has anyone done the Throttle body mod on there 4.3l vortek? I was thinking about doing it today and wanted to have some others opinions on it, like do you get more torque and does it save gas, from what I've heard it does and could get atleast another mile per gallon. And the mod I'm talking about is cutting that scoop thing that's on the bottom side of the throttle plate

swartlkk 01-31-2017 12:02 PM

Many have, myself included on my old 2000 Bravada. About the only thing I can say for sure that it did was make the throttle more sensitive. As for more torque, power, or better mileage, I noticed none of these. Some will argue that it produces more power/torque, but my counter to that is that it is producing the same power/torque, just at a lower throttle angle. Wide open throttle runs from 0-60 recorded on my old Autotap PC based scantool showed absolutely zero difference in 0-60 time pre/post modification on a 5 run average. I didn't mind the overly sensitive throttle, but my wife refused to drive the truck after I did this modification.

You can search for "throttle+body+mod" or "throttle+blade+mod" and find what others have to say and/or take a look at the Related Topics links at the bottom of this post.

newguy 01-31-2017 12:41 PM

agree with Swartlik. It is there for you to be able to control accel.

chris015 01-31-2017 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by newguy (Post 672787)
agree with Swartlik. It is there for you to be able to control accel.

That and it is supposed to evenly distribute the egr gasses too.

ThaDopeShow 01-31-2017 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 672781)
Many have, myself included on my old 2000 Bravada. About the only thing I can say for sure that it did was make the throttle more sensitive. As for more torque, power, or better mileage, I noticed none of these. Some will argue that it produces more power/torque, but my counter to that is that it is producing the same power/torque, just at a lower throttle angle. Wide open throttle runs from 0-60 recorded on my old Autotap PC based scantool showed absolutely zero difference in 0-60 time pre/post modification on a 5 run average. I didn't mind the overly sensitive throttle, but my wife refused to drive the truck after I did this modification.

You can search for "throttle+body+mod" or "throttle+blade+mod" and find what others have to say and/or take a look at the Related Topics links at the bottom of this post.

I just moded my 2001 chevy blazer an hour ago and it has given alot faster acceleration

Rusty Nuts 01-31-2017 04:08 PM

Not trying to jinx you. I've read threads here from members who got a check engine light after throttle body mods. They solved it by putting an unaltered one back on.

ThaDopeShow 01-31-2017 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts (Post 672799)
Not trying to jinx you. I've read threads here from members who got a check engine light after throttle body mods. They solved it by putting an unaltered one back on.

I KY check engine light I get is from my secondary air injection and that's been coming on for a while, but if I get one from this mod I'll just put a new throttle blade back in

swartlkk 01-31-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDopeShow (Post 672793)
I just moded my 2001 chevy blazer an hour ago and it has given alot faster acceleration

It's the old "I did something therefore I notice a difference" effect.

Rusty Nuts 01-31-2017 05:49 PM

In my day that was flipping the air filter cover.

swartlkk 01-31-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts (Post 672806)
In my day that was flipping the air filter cover.

Make those qjet secondary's HOWL!