Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Upper/Lower intake manifold spacer

Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Question Upper/Lower intake manifold spacer

So I came across one of these today (I work in a salvage yard for those who don't know), never even knew such a thing existed Off the same truck (an 01 Xtreme) I grabbed a full K&N intake system, MSD wires, AND a Flaming River steering joint!

I am in NO hurry to install it as I don't feel the need to tare into the truck just to put it in, but I may consider it if I find myself pulling the intake off at any point in the future while the 4.3 is still in the Blazer.

Anyone ever used one?

I did try a throttle body spacer a while back for the same reason; got it at work for nothing, and yeah it did absolutely nothing lol so it came back off after a couple of weeks. Wasn't expecting much from it anyhow, but for free I gave it a try...

https://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/11010/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710717572&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=446935921 61&CATCI=pla-215314521911&CATARGETID=230006180039219312&cadevic e=c&jegspromo=nonbrand&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjbveBRDVARIsA KxH7vlgqkWMG7SL3q-I-eR2HGiLtAI26ce21d67aSpNbE1wubBTxi19zmkaAv95EALw_wc B

Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I researched those when they first came out. It's a PITA to install for the same result you got with the throttle body spacer that mounts on the bottom side of the throttle body.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Yeah like I mentioned I'm not about to pull the upper intake off just to install it, unless I get SUPER bored one weekend :P I'll just keep it in the garage for one day when I maybe need to pull the intake apart for another reason and possibly throw it on then, just to see how it goes. I eventually need to replace my lower intake anyhow; last time I changed the thermostat the forward most ear cracked, so now my thermostat housing is half holding on with a C-clamp... it's not leaking and it's been that way for well over a year now lol so that's how it's going to stay until it gives me issues...

Was hoping that someone had some rear-world or dyno tests to share though. Can't find much info about them being used too much online. PLENTY of stuff about throttle body spacers, but not a lot on 2 piece manifold spacers like this.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

If that extreme is still there check it for additional hardware. Fuel line adapters, different throttle linkage and whatnot that comes from trying to connect to a throttle body that's not where it used to be.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:39 PM

I actually downloaded the install instructions for the spacer. It includes what's shown in the picture (the main body spacer and the smaller piece that pushes the spider injector up with it so that it still seals to the upper intake), longer bolts for everything, as well as a couple smaller spacers to raise up some of the throttle cable bracketry on the passenger side and front of the throttle body. Per the instructions, when you put it all back together, you simply leave the bracket that holds the fuel line to the driver's side cylinder head loose... which I'm not too fond of, so I'd probably fab up a simple aluminum bracket out of some flat stock to support the line assembly there.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Blazen, was the 01 extreme you pulled from a truck or a blazer?

Old 10-28-2018, 11:35 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Things like this fall into the "why doesn't the factory use them?" category. Because they serve no purpose, is why. If something just bolts on and improves a vehicle's performance, you can be pretty sure the factory would use it in the design. Otherwise, it is the 'red fishing lure' syndrome; they make them to catch fishermen in the store.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Blazen, was the 01 extreme you pulled from a truck or a blazer?
An S10 with a manual trans

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Things like this fall into the "why doesn't the factory use them?" category. Because they serve no purpose, is why. If something just bolts on and improves a vehicle's performance, you can be pretty sure the factory would use it in the design. Otherwise, it is the 'red fishing lure' syndrome; they make them to catch fishermen in the store.
As much as I'd like to think that's true about a lot of parts, manufacturers also try to meet MPG and emissions guidelines, which means robbing performance in some places. If that wasn't the case then "bolt on's" wouldn't exist at all.

Not trying to make an argument that this spacer thing is a "sure thing just because it cost money", more or less just begging the question of does it actually do anything beneficial, and if so what the trade offs would be? Maybe it adds 10 HP at 2500 RPM's at the cost of loosing HP above 4k RPMs, or loosing 0.5mpg on average in the city where the average consumer will be driving. And maybe that's why a manufacturer would compromise those additional 10 HP in the lower RPM because they realised they could get better MPG in the same RPM range if they went with the design they did.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 10-28-2018 at 06:09 PM.