Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   triedNfailed CAI Help..What's the best knock off (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/triednfailed-cai-help-whats-best-knock-off-71096/)

xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx 05-30-2012 03:06 PM

triedNfailed CAI Help..What's the best knock off

Well I already tried my hand at one of these ebay knock off CAI

96-04 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3 V6 COLD SHIELD AIR INTAKE KIT+RED FILTER | eBay

What a pain in the rear...my dad didn't like the idea of an aftermarket intake to begin with cuz he's all about stock blah blah

he only supported it if it was well made and fit right.

right away, I got a 2 piece construction heat shield which wouldn't go together completely and would not mount.
strike 1
next the alum. piece would not come even close to mounting to that old air box stud like it was supposed to and the plastic intake piece wouldn't even fasten flush to the throttle body... so Im just flustered but I still want one :(

IF YOU GUYS COULD PLEASE POST LINKS TO CAI's WHICH YOU HAVE INSTALLED WITHOUT PROBLEM IT'D BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Rottidog 05-30-2012 07:18 PM

You paid $570 for a CAI?!
Does your blazer have a body lift? If it does then the engine is stock height & where the air box or anything that's mounted to the body will be higher. How much higher depends on the BL.
Couple years ago I got a Chrome Air Intakes CAI, $60 & it worked fine. Search in here for how to make a heat shield, get a CAI with a washable filter & have at 'er!

zr2dan 05-30-2012 10:28 PM

wow 570$ i got a airraid cai and a hypertec tunner for around 450$ at jegs a few years back

Rottidog 05-30-2012 10:57 PM

Yeah man, send that back & use the $570 for a PCM tune & get a $60 CAI intake. With the PCM tune alone you'll reap benifits & the CAI may help a bit with response & power etc but the best change I noticed was the throttle body sound = VERY COOL!
Us Wynjammers (Dan & I) think a like... in ways lol

50lb_cat 05-31-2012 09:01 AM

+1, I got a AEM bruteforce CAI for 270 and a blackbear performance tune for 260 and it really woke up the 4.3

chris015 05-31-2012 09:05 AM

I hope you didnt spend that much..

Send it back,get a k&n drop in filter and a pcm tune for LESS then what you paid just for this.

xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx 05-31-2012 11:10 AM

hahaha It's funny and kinda sketchy I DID actually pay only 69.99 with shipping...
then the day after I bought it the price got hiked up to that ? hopefully thats what they send me back :D

but no body lift or anything, the thing just flat out didn't fit...

So i think I'd like to try one of them chrome intakes and a dryflow filter

Thanks though guys! I'd like to get the tune here soon with all this grad money

bluedevil500 06-08-2012 01:23 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the ebay kits come with crappy universal filters. The rest is just fitment, brackets and aluminum tubing so as long as it fits right it will be alright.

I would look into a AFe or AEM dry-flow washable filter when you do get your ebay CAI.

99bblazer99 06-10-2012 12:41 PM

i just got a spectre one and but a k&n hiflow on it the spectre intake kit was only 150,