Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-6/)
-   -   Safety Not Required (https://blazerforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-6/safety-not-required-83640/)

BlueDevils 01-03-2014 01:05 PM

Safety Not Required

2 Attachment(s)
A buddy of mine on Facebook spotted this Chevy with painted over tail lights. I think it's unsafe and crazy. Thoughts?

Thogert 01-03-2014 02:57 PM

There are paints that act like tint. I believe ohsofly has (or had, I can't remember if he got them fixed) these on his silverado. I wouldn't personally tint any of my important lights (headlights, tail lights, turn lights), but as long as you can see them when they're lit up, that's all that really matters.

He will probably get a ticket at some point though I'd imagine.

richphotos 01-03-2014 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert (Post 613603)
There are paints that act like tint. I believe ohsofly has (or had, I can't remember if he got them fixed) these on his silverado. I wouldn't personally tint any of my important lights (headlights, tail lights, turn lights), but as long as you can see them when they're lit up, that's all that really matters.

He will probably get a ticket at some point though I'd imagine.

I'd tint the lights on the jimmy just because the LED's are so bright.
But I went the better way and painted the boards black so they look tinted but do not sacrifice light output.

I have seen those painted/tinted lights in person. the output is not good at all.

Thogert 01-03-2014 03:56 PM

Ok, yes, I'd consider tint if I was running 240(?) HPWTs. :icon_razz:

rexazz2 01-03-2014 03:59 PM

most of the products to do this including covers usually have a disclaimer on them "for off road use only"
In other words , if you use on the street expect a ticket

BlueDevils 01-03-2014 06:54 PM

I can understand using covers to protect the lens from being hit by a rock when off-roading or something but keeping them on while on the road just isn't safe as it is in the picture.

That's what I was thinking as well, richphotos. That tint looks like it'd be pretty difficult to even see the lights come on during the day. I wouldn't chance it and risk someone not seeing them come on and run into the rear end.

richphotos 01-03-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert (Post 613610)
Ok, yes, I'd consider tint if I was running 240(?) HPWTs. :icon_razz:

Yup, 240 LMAO

ol' grouch 01-03-2014 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevils (Post 613585)
A buddy of mine on Facebook spotted this Chevy with painted over tail lights. I think it's unsafe and crazy. Thoughts?

DOT requires that tail and brake lights be red. A police officer looking to get his or her quota could use that as probable cause and start the ticket fest.

Badco 01-03-2014 11:26 PM

People who smoke their tail lights don't get any respect from me. They're there for a reason to be like "HEY I'M SLOWING DOWN OR STOPPING YOU SHOULD TOO!"

not "I'm going to strain your eyes so by the time you realize I'm 25 mph slower than you, you're tickling my muffler".

abig84 01-04-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Badco (Post 613670)
People who smoke their tail lights don't get any respect from me. They're there for a reason to be like "HEY I'M SLOWING DOWN OR STOPPING YOU SHOULD TOO!"

not "I'm going to strain your eyes so by the time you realize I'm 25 mph slower than you, you're tickling my muffler".

agreed, i was actually behind someone with really dark tinted lights and i kept flashing my lights at them until i finally realized they DID have their lights on. thats how dark they were

might as well just unplug your brake switch. i kinda want to let people know im stopping