Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Total noob question about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 AM
ScottWV is on a distinguished road
Default Total noob question about shocks

Hi everyone!

I'm brave enough to admit that I'm in my mid 30s and finally getting brave enough to do work on my own vehicles beyond oil changes.

I don't know much about shocks, but I know the ones on my Blazer are in need of changing.

My question is can I gain some lift by putting on new shocks? I'm not looking for a skyjacker, but putting a little more air under it would be pretty cool without investing in a lift kit just yet.

Thanks!

ScottWV

Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

no you wont get lift from shocks. if you want lift you have to do a body lift or shackles and t-bar crank. or both.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a loaded question. If you are replacing the shocks with stock replacements, you will get no lift from a shock. Shocks do not actually add spring rate to the suspension, they simply dampen out oscillations.

With that said, you can get spring over and air shocks which can add spring rate. These are only available for the rear of the truck and are meant to retain ride height with an increased load on the rear suspension. They should not be used to supplement sagging rear springs since you really are not addressing the problem, only putting a band-aid on it.