Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Auto 4x4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 AM
spweebles is on a distinguished road
Default Auto 4x4 Conversion

In my search to buy a 2004 Blazer, I've noticed that a lot of the Blazers did not have the auto 4x4 button on the 4 wheel drive switch.

Does anyone know what would be involved to convert a truck over to have the auto 4x4? I'm sure that there is more involved than just changing the switch.

I thought that if I found a Blazer that I liked that didn't have the auto 4x4 option, I could do the switchover myself if it was easy enough.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 AM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

It wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't be cheap.

You would need the switch, NP8 transfer case, and the TCCM to the NP8 (the computer that controls the 4x4).

Then you would have to wire it all as the harnesses are different....

Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

I will also add that the Auto4wd really isn't all its cracked up to be. I wouldn't consider a swap to the NV236 transfer case. It isn't bad per say, but there is more to go wrong in an NV236 vs the NV233.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
giod is an unknown quantity at this point

Go buy a blazer without the auto 4x4 and I'll trade you my blazer :P

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Auto doesnt not always equal better...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
spweebles is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I happen to really enjoy my Auto4x4, when it's working lol.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
I happen to really enjoy my Auto4x4, when it's working lol.

i have that auto 4wd too. it engages once then locks and doesn't disengage until you put in 2hi. its not as great as its cracked up to be

Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i have that auto 4wd too. it engages once then locks and doesn't disengage until you put in 2hi. its not as great as its cracked up to be
Sounds like yours isn't working as it should. Limited experience with an improperly functioning system is not something you would want to base your entire assessment of how a system is supposed to work on now is it...? When it works properly, it works quite well.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

key word "when it works",
plus the guys i work with (4 of them own blazers), the auto 4wd doesn't work and we don't "beat" them either. granted when it did work in mine, yes it was nice. really a pain though when it locks into 4wd and then won't disengage. became another 4hi switch to me. just sayin.

Quick Reply: Auto 4x4 Conversion