Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4wd switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default 4wd switch

I think I asked something about this before, but I could not find it to bump it. Anyways, I noticed after I took the gauge cluster out of the jimmy to repair the power supply, that after I put it back in, the 4hi indicator light would randomly come on, it did not engage 4wd when it was on, it would just be lit up. Well, I tried to turn on 4wd today, because I suspected a problem with the switch, and to no surprise, 4hi or 4lo will not turn on. When I turn the key to "on" both lights on the switch light up for a second (like its supposed to) but its just not working.
Before I took the cluster out, it worked perfectly, which is why i'm pretty sure it is the switch.
Now what I want to know is, is just the switch something that can be purchased? I noticed that all the switches in that panel of switches is able to come out.
Thanks for the help.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10775

The switch is towards the bottom of the page

Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, is there any tests I can do to make sure that it is indeed the switch and not something else?

Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Starting Member
dixiechick_ry is on a distinguished road
Default 1993 S-10 Chevy Blazer Wiring Harness Schematics

Does anyone know about the wiring harness on 1993 S-10 Blazer or have drawing to repair. Thanks

Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Starting Member
dixiechick_ry is on a distinguished road

I need the drawing of the wiring harness. Please reply here. thank u.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM

It sounds like an electrical gremlin since it worked before. Are you sure you got it all back together correctly? Sorry, electrical gremlins are my specialty lol

Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM
BF Veteran

Yup, I am sure. all I had to do was unhook it to get the dash out, nothing else was touched but the connection at the switch. It just strikes me as odd that when i turn the key to the on position that both 4hi and 4lo lights come on for a second like they are supposed to, then it does not work, which makes me think the switch, Before i drop 40 bucks on a new switch, I am going to hit up upull tomorrow, they have a 94 4wd there, 5 bucks for the switch there. I will let you know if it works, Thanks for the help.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Well for 5 bucks its worth a shot. If not there are tech articles here on diagnosing 4x4 problems though most of them apply to 2nd gen but I'm sure its roughly the same concept.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran

Well, I got every switch from every blazer/jimmy at the yard (3 total) and that did not fix the problem, same thing, push the botton, hi and lo, and nadda happens. *sigh*
But on a more positive note, there is one there, interior is super clean, and the same color as mine, so I am slowly going to get all the interior pieces that I need for mine that are bad, got a few today. I also found a tail gate lock, that actually works and had the key in it.
And a 3rd brake light off of a 94 s10 blazer, going to wire that up on the jimmy.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran

Well, the 4wd is working again, Thanks to Giovanni. He told me to pull the tccm fuse for 30 minutes and put it back in, and walla, it works again, Thanks bro, I owe you big time!

Quick Reply: 4wd switch