Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1992 K-Blazer steering wonders all over road

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Beginning Member
--SPEED-- is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1992 K-Blazer steering wonders all over road

I have a 1992 K1500 Blazer, my problem is that the truck wonders all over the road, the insides of my tires are bald, I have new inner and outer tie rods, new idler arm and all my linkage seems tight... one joe blow at the tire shop said the whole thing needs replaced...drr I told him the same info I just gave you... then it went down to the gear box and pitman arm... Im still not sold on the idea but if it needs replacing is this something I can do with my limited tool supply and in my driveway? the truck was front impact wrecked @ two years ago so it could be a slow result of that ? Im just wanting some good advice before I spend my hard to come by cash...lol I have also noticed that the steering shaft coupler is worn out but not sure if this could cause the problems?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wear on the insides of the tires is likely from an improper alignment either in the toe setting or the caster/camber setting. When you replaced the tie-rods/etc did you get an alignment?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

Yes, but it was before the wreck.. there seems to be something wrong in the steering, for example, when Im driving down a road with ruts in the road, the truck will follow the ruts, or if the roads are wet or snow the blazer is almost uncontrollable...?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Vader is on a distinguished road

If you have had a front end collision and havent had an alignment done yet then that could be a reason why its uncontrollable. The collision could have damaged steering/suspension components. Did you have it inspected after the collison? The new tie rod ends and idler arm, were those replaced post collision, or just recently? Anytime you replace suspension/steering components you should get an alignment done.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

no, unfortunately the kid didnt have insurance... idler arm was post wreck, tie rod ends were pre... guess Im going to have to just replace all the parts and have it re-aligned...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:06 AM

The guy you hit not having insurance is why you didn't get an alignment? If he was at fault for the accident he should be paying for the damage whether he has insurance or you have to sue him. Not having insurance is illegal. And because of this your vehicle is now unsafe to drive IMO. You should the vehicle fixed, aligned and inspected. For your safety and everyone else on the road

Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member

well theres legal and theres reality, it was a teenage girl who hit me and no she didnt have insurance, thanks for sharing your opinion, Im looking for someone who has had similar experience with the front end issues, not insurance issues...

Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Being a teenage girl should not excuse someone from having valid insurance. You can go to jail for not having it. Personally, I would have called the Police.

I prefer to always have it covered by an insurance company because that way if the work is done wrong or improperly the insurance company is required to cover it until its properly fixed.

Before you go replaceing parts go under the truck and look at it your self. See if their is parts that look obviously damaged or worn. Look for play in the steering components. Theirs no point blindly replacing components if their still in good condition. It will save you money. But if you think something is wrong and you have the ability to fix it then go for it. But make sure you get an alignment after

Worst case scenario. If you have replaced all the steering and suspension components and it still veers to one side or doesn't stay straight then their may be frame damage to the vehicle.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Beginning Member

she presented a insurance card to the police at the scene but when I called to file the claim her policy was expired, my lawyer looked into her family to recover the damages but there was nothing there, it would have cost me more to hire the lawyer than it I would get out of her parents... Ive ordered the parts to replace the pitman are and steering shaft coupler so hopefully that will get it fixed.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Here where I live all insurance cards carry an expiry date. Which the police check.

I hope the pitman arm fixes it for you. Let us know how it works out.

Quick Reply: 1992 K-Blazer steering wonders all over road