Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   96 S10 Blazer 4X4 Vibration between 66 to 72mph (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/96-s10-blazer-4x4-vibration-between-66-72mph-79995/)

Airship1 06-23-2013 11:02 AM

96 S10 Blazer 4X4 Vibration between 66 to 72mph

OK.. This is driving me CRAZY!!
I have a 96 S10 Blazer with very low miles (50K barn find) and it has a vibration that seems to never go away!! Between the speeds of 66 to 72ish it shakes the driver seat kinda like you put two quarters in the vibrating chair at the fair and set it on medium!!
I have put about $1500 into the problem and still there.
List of items replaced:
4 - new tires Stock Size
4 - new shocks Monroe
1 - new Idler arm
2 - front upper and lower ball joints
2 - new sway bar bushings
2 - rear Lt and Rt wheels bearings
1 - Idler pulley (for serpentine belt)
1 - new fan clutch
1 - new ac compressor and dryer
1 - new upper and lower radiator hoses
1 - new alternator
1 - new radiator
1 - changed all rear end front end and transfer case oils
2 - new front wheel bearing assemblies Lt and Rt
1 - new set of front break pads
1 - new serpentine belt
STILL VIBRATING!!
Read a couple of postings by some Chevy techs saying this is part of the M/O of the vehicle. Are they serious??

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Aeromaster 06-23-2013 04:29 PM

I would suggest to check front driveshaft cv and u joint. Also check the transfer case output spline shaft for wear. The shaft should move forward and back but no side to side wobble.

Airship1 06-23-2013 06:53 PM

I would suggest to check front driveshaft cv and u joint. Also check the transfer case output spline shaft for wear. The shaft should move forward and back but no side to side wobble.

Ok Thanks!!
I checked the "front" drive shaft and CV joints and they are solid!
The spline shaft from the transfer case does move front to back a little but not much but I don't feel any wobble per say?
Does the front drive shaft turn if the vehicle is not in 4 wheel drive?
Thanks for the reply.

4X4GS10B 06-23-2013 09:16 PM

Idler arm?

Airship1 06-24-2013 09:12 AM

Forgot to add that to the list.
Thx!
Now it's on the list!

El_Beautor 06-24-2013 09:58 AM

The first thing I'd have double checked is your tire balance and wheel alignment. I know you said the tires are new, but it's possible that the shop made a mistake when balancing them. The other thing it could be is an unbalanced rear drive shaft or maybe worn u-joints.

I disagree that the vibration is the MO of the vehicle. My '96 doesn't have any problems like that.

10-78 edac 06-24-2013 01:47 PM

After putting new ball joints, bearings, tires, shocks, and alignment on my 98, it still gets a slight vibration at about 92-97 mph

El_Beautor 06-24-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac (Post 589787)
After putting new ball joints, bearings, tires, shocks, and alignment on my 98, it still gets a slight vibration at about 92-97 mph

:icon_eek:

rriddle3 06-24-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor (Post 589761)
The first thing I'd have double checked is your tire balance and wheel alignment. I know you said the tires are new, but it's possible that the shop made a mistake when balancing them. The other thing it could be is an unbalanced rear drive shaft or maybe worn u-joints.

I disagree that the vibration is the MO of the vehicle. My '96 doesn't have any problems like that.

Yep, first thing to check with a vibration in that speed range.

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac (Post 589787)

Easy way to get rid of it - slow down.

Airship1 06-25-2013 01:12 PM

Technican: ""When servicing VIN# the following diagnosis may be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms. Symptom- Vibration that is felt in seat of pants OR a body shake at highway speeds. Recommendation- This condition may occur when EVA readings show the tires at 12-14 Hz, OR 60 MPH, and 0.07 Gs. This condition may develope or worsen on rough roads. This vibration is NOT torque sensitive and Can't be felt in steering wheel/column. This vibration is considered a normal characteristic for these vehicles and no repair attempts should be made. This diagnostic approach was developed for the VIN you entered and shouldn't be automaticaly used for other vehicles with similar symptoms. (end) They are admitting the problem exists, but saying it's normal, and there isn't a repair that will remedy it. They may eventually update a part (discover a design flaw) or develope a repair but at this time choose to say it's normal. Go over [#PI01273B - (09/15/2003)] with anyone else that drives your blazer and the service technician at goodwrench to determine if the symptoms match the bulletin."""

WHAT A P. O. S.!! I wouldn't buy another GM product for nothing!!
Great information to know.. I've read from the rear wheel axles seperating at 55mph to the rear end seizing and rolling the vehicle. Going to trade it in I believe.