Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   97 Bravada, advice on AWD Delete, already missing front drive shaft. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/97-bravada-advice-awd-delete-already-missing-front-drive-shaft-73358/)

Razmear 08-29-2012 06:38 PM

We bought a used 97 Bravada a few years back, it is now knocking at the CV joints and when I started to look at the problem I noticed that it has no front drive shaft. Why I didn't notice this a few years ago, I honestly don't know, but it ran fine so I guess I never bothered to look for it.
Seeing how there is no front drive shaft, and I'm not gonna drop $400 to get get one to keep this beater alive, can I just remove the CV joints and not bother replacing them? Can I just pull out the whole front differential while I'm at it (provided I'm feeling motivated enough).
Is there any fluid circulation from the front diff to any other vital part that I need to be concerned about, or can I just drain the diff after pulling the CVs and let it sit there inactive?

Thanks for any tips and let me know if you need more info.
eb

Been doing some other searching (most the day actually) and it seems that so long as the lower end of the CV joint remains in the wheel hub it should be safe to remove the front CV's without fear of frying the bearings.
So looks like I have to dissemble the CV once removed then insert the lower and reassemble.
Still not 100% sure about fluid exchange from the diff to other systems, but fairly certain it's an isolated system.

Still willing to hear any advise on this project.

oldsbravada2000 08-30-2012 06:53 AM

Ok bud you DO have to leave the lower. It's because the giant nut that tightens the CV shaft to the hub creates required pressure on the bearings. Now as for the differential just plug the holes in it where the CV's go and keep fluid in it and you are golden. YOUR BRAVADA HAS A FULL TIME SPINNING FRONT DRIVESHAFT KEEPING THE FLUID IN YOUR FRONT DIFF IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE THOSE GEARS ARE ALWAYS SPINNING. 1997 and older bravadas have a 70/30 split so 30% of the power is to the front axle at all times.

aa21830 08-30-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldsbravada2000 (Post 537912)
YOUR BRAVADA HAS A FULL TIME SPINNING FRONT DRIVESHAFT KEEPING THE FLUID IN YOUR FRONT DIFF IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE THOSE GEARS ARE ALWAYS SPINNING.

But if he doesn't have a front drive shaft and the CV joints aren't connected to the diff anymore....:icon_shrug:

Razmear 09-05-2012 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still working on the project, spent a couple days fighting the axle nut from hell.

DELETED

New question.

I was checking the DIY section and saw this pic:
Attachment 33179

Which looks like a very close match for my current wheel hubs, only for a 2wd blazer.
Are there compatible 2wd front wheel hubs that will bolt into the 97 Bravada? This would be my ideal fix to the problem and would finish off the 2wd conversion nicely.

Razmear 09-05-2012 08:49 PM

Anyone know if this will bolt on a 97 Bravada?
Chevy Blazer S10 Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly - AM Autoparts

Looks like the 98 and up 2wd wheel bearings are a close match, might just bring my dead one to AutoZone and see if the bolt patterns match up.

chris015 09-05-2012 08:58 PM

see if the part # is the same with both. if so,then it'll work.

Razmear 09-05-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris015 (Post 539058)
see if the part # is the same with both. if so,then it'll work.

All Bravada's were AWD, so there is no 2wd front wheel hub part number to search for.
Been looking at the Chinese manufacturer sites for specs on bolt diameter. Looks like this one is .2 in smaller on the bolt pattern, but the image shows one with a spline opening, so I'm thinking it might be wrong info for that part.

Here are the specs for the current Olds AWD wheel bearing:
513124 12413045 7470608 Wheel Hub Bearing For CHEVROLET/OLDSMOBILE/GMC/ISUZU - Detailed info for 513124 12413045 7470608 Wheel Hub Bearing For CHEVROLET/OLDSMOBILE/GMC/ISUZU,wheel hub bearing,513124 12413045 7470608 Wheel Hub Bearing For CHEVROLET/OL

98 and up Blazers use a wheel hub assembly similar to the 97 Bravada, the 97 Blazer has a control arm mounted shaft and pressed bearings into the brake rotor assembly.

I'm back to thinking leaving the CV shaft in might be the best option, but seeing how I have to replace one wheel bearing anyways, you'd think the 2wd front bearing would be a cheaper and safer option.

Jase1979 09-05-2012 09:49 PM

the part looks like it will fit but to be sure go to your local part store and measure the bolt pattern where the bearing mounts and see if 2 and 4 wheel drive bearings match up. I did what your wanting to do to my buddys Astro van last year when his front cv s went bad and his is still on the road

Razmear 09-05-2012 11:08 PM

Found the specs on the 98 Blazer 2wd hub. The pic is wrong, and I'm hoping they just rounded up the specs:
513200 513200-170 513200-235-0 15731627 Br930497 Wheel Hub For Chevrolet Gmc - Buy Wheel Hub,Free Wheel Hub,Hub Units And Wheel Bearings Product on Alibaba.com

Bravada: Bolt Circle Diameter: 4.757 In.
Blazer: Bolt Circle Diameter: 4.8 In

Even if the specs are dead on, thats 1mm difference between the 3 bolts, or .3mm off per bolt. I doubt GM has that level of precision.

part number 513200 search based on this Oriely page:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=hub+assembly

--
Additional option, if I can find on in the junk yard:
http://www.am-autoparts.com/1997/Old...06/365147.html
Confirmed this part # is the same as the 92-7 Jimmy and Blazer, should be lots of them around in local yards.

Jase1979 09-06-2012 04:11 PM

I would stay away from option "junkyard" due to ball joints, control arms and calipers are all different with 2 or 4 wheel drive, but with the 2 links you posted I think you could use that hub and eliminate the cv axles without having a problem