Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

can anyone help this noob out with his new bravada?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member
boomin_brava is on a distinguished road
Default can anyone help this noob out with his new bravada?

Hello i just got a 98 oldsmobile bravada. Anyways i am new to everything under the carrage. I went from driving hondas all my life to this. Anyways the owne rr said it had been lowered at one time. And he raised it back up. Well it still looks low in the rear i looked under and it looks like there is a block on top of the leaf spring like it was put in to lower it. How big of a job would it be to change it around to raise it? I dnt have alot of tools but full access to a shop. And wanting to put some 31s on it and raise it a bit.. what are my options as far as ajusting t bars,blocks,shackles,etc. I have no clue on how the front suspension setul works either. And lastly they took the axle out that powers the front diff setup. Should that be put back in to prevent issues? And how do i go about sevicing the transfercase and tranny. Have no clue on fluids to use. It has 180k and runs good. Sorry guys ik this is alot of stuff! But hopefully i will get some idea. Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by boomin_brava
Hello i just got a 98 oldsmobile bravada. Anyways i am new to everything under the carrage. I went from driving hondas all my life to this. Anyways the owne rr said it had been lowered at one time. And he raised it back up. Well it still looks low in the rear i looked under and it looks like there is a block on top of the leaf spring like it was put in to lower it. How big of a job would it be to change it around to raise it? I dnt have alot of tools but full access to a shop. And wanting to put some 31s on it and raise it a bit.. what are my options as far as ajusting t bars,blocks,shackles,etc. I have no clue on how the front suspension setul works either. And lastly they took the axle out that powers the front diff setup. Should that be put back in to prevent issues? And how do i go about sevicing the transfercase and tranny. Have no clue on fluids to use. It has 180k and runs good. Sorry guys ik this is alot of stuff! But hopefully i will get some idea. Thanks

Since the axle is above the springs, you can't use blocks (to lift it, this would only lower it). That is how it got lowered in the first place. For a quick lift that is not too expensive at all, crank your torsion bars up front around 1 inch to 1.5 inches (Don't go over this if you care about ride quality and because your front end components will suffer big time if you do) and put 1.5 or 2 inch lift shackles in the back to make everything level or near level. This will fit 31s, but you will have to do some trimming of the fenders.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

First thing you do is read the owner manual...

Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
boomin_brava is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys. I have some type of manual but it has no helpful info. Now to crank the t bars do i need to lift the blazer?and how do i go about taking those blocks out? And installing the shackles.. i imagine dropping the leafs will be quite a job

Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by boomin_brava
Thank you guys. I have some type of manual but it has no helpful info. Now to crank the t bars do i need to lift the blazer?and how do i go about taking those blocks out? And installing the shackles.. i imagine dropping the leafs will be quite a job
Actually even if it's only an owner manual it DOEs have some helpful info based on what you asked about

I realize you're new to this but there's this thing called a 'forum index' where you can find things by category. Most of which you will end up being pointed to anyway.
So why not get ahead of the game by looking for answers there in the first place?
Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

See that heading called DIY? There's also several posts that include index links within them

Another way is to do a google search written like this:
how do i xxxxx xxxx xxxx site:blazerforum.com

The reason to do it from google is that they do a better job of contextual parsing.. that is figuring out what you really want.

THEN when you have questions based on what you can find, come back to this thread .. or create a new one based on specific needs... REFERENCE the thread you have questions on.. and plenty of people will be glad to help.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.