Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

blown spider gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
prozach1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blown spider gear

today i was wheeling and i stopmed on it form a stand still (on dirt) and i heard a tink tink tink...tink and i was like wtf but i drove a little more and it felt like a gap in something but i stopped checcked to see if there was play in the drive shaft and there wasnt any
so i put in in drive and there was a pause and then a jerk so decied time to head home on the way home after driving about 5 miles or so the rpms just jumped and the speedo went up like i was in neutral. so i pulled over and checked the drive shaft again and there was no play so i went to go get back in and put it in drive and i could hear it spinning and grinding but no going so i figured ring gear or pinion stripped so i put it in 4 hi and drove home took the diff cover off and the spider gear to the right is stripped just to let you know i have a 30x9.5x15 on that side and a 235/75/15 on the other due to putting a hole in my old tires sidewall so do you think that would make a difference on why that side went or it went period but any suggestions on what to do would be helpful thanks

Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: blown spider gear

ORIGINAL: prozach1988
30x9.5x15 on that side and a 235/75/15 on the other
How exactly did you think that was going to turn out?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Any vehicle should have matching tire size on each axle. On a 4X4 you need matching tire size on all 4 wheels.
That certainly would have been a contributing factor to the gear failure.
Replacing the spider gear (set, all 4) is pretty easy to do. Just make sure the thust washers stay in place.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: prozach1988

just to let you know i have a 30x9.5x15 on that side and a 235/75/15 on the other
One tire would be turning faster than the other one. Your rear end didn't fail you wrecked it by putting different sized tires on.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM

ok but do you think i need to replace anything other than the spider gears due to all the little shards of metal floating around in the fluid as i drove home?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You really need to get in there and have a look at the ring and pinion gears, inspecting for damage. When parts start floating around in the diff, I would be worried about gear and bearing damage.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 PM

ok i was just asking to make sure but that will have to wait till next weekend or so thanks for the help

Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you aren't driving it still. You will for sure fubar things if you continue to drive it.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 PM

no not at all its parked im borrowing dads car until i get it fixed i was afraid i was going to really mess it up trying to get it home but i got it home safely which is what i most care about if i was that much of an idiot i dont think i should be driving in the first place

Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator

I wasn't implying anything about you with my comments above. I know many people that just assume the worst and drive their vehicles until they can fix them, often causing things to be much worse than they originally were. Just a word of caution, nothing else.

Quick Reply: blown spider gear