Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bad ABS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member
Sean89us is on a distinguished road
Default Bad ABS Sensor

Hey all, recently my ABS light has been coming on and turning itself back off on its own. the other day the ABS kicked in while I was braking so I brought it to goodyear today so they could read the codes. They told me the right front sensor was shot and that the best way to replace it is by replacing the whole hub assembly. What I'm wondering is, what would be the harm in just unplugging the sensor? I don't live in an area that has snow/ice and I've never once hydroplaned on water, I'm a great driver so I'm not worried about not having ABS active. Would there be any harm in just unplugging it until I feel like actually replacing the hub?

Thanks guys!
~Sean

Old 08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

A lot of people disconnect the abs fuse

My truck being a 1st gen didnt have a fuse so someone told me to disconnect some wire in the engine compartment and it worked no light no abs the truck stops great and runs great

Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

First off, what are ya drivin'?

Second, I too consider my self a fairly high above average driver, but I would not just disconnect a sensor or deactivate a system because a light popped on. But lets not twist this thread into a rant on ABS systems and how "good" everyone is at driving.

Only the 98+ (and possibly some late 97's) have the sensor in the hub and even with them, the sensor can be replaced independently. But lets not guess at the problem or just cover it up. If your light is on, there should be a code stored. Get the system read. The truck is trying to tell you what is wrong with it. Don't ignore it.

It could be something as simple as a dirty sensor, too large of an air gap, or a pinched wire. If reading the ABS codes isn't something you can have readily done, you could jump right into testing the sensors with a multimeter capable of reading mV-AC output. Take a read through the slow speed activation thread in the Tech Article (DIY) Index link provided in my signature below.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

@Swartlkk, As I clearly stated in the main post, I did have the codes read. The code said that the sensor was giving erratic readings. And I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a "I'm a better driver than you" thread, just mentioning that I have only ever had to slam on my brakes twice in the entire time I've been driving (~5 Years). Right now I don't really care about replacing the sensor. At all. I could not care less about having ABS. All I want is for the ABS to not kick in when it's not supposed to (Which it is). I'm not disconnecting it because "some light came on". Oh and by the way, I drive a 1999 Blazer.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was simply trying to help you quickly, efficiently, and economically repair the system instead of just defeating something that could save your life, the life of someone you care about, or someone who you don't even know. Obviously my bad... Sorry for actually trying to help you fix the problem rather than cover it up with your bravado.

About getting the system read, no where in your post is there any semblance of an OBD2 code (a letter followed by 4 numbers - ex. P0146). Diagnosis starts with the code. But I guess if you aren't interested in that, I'll bow out. Good luck with your issue(s).

Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

I don't have a code reader myself, and I didn't ask for the specific code from goodyear after they got it, but I was told that it's the right front sensor giving erratic readings.

All I want to know is, with the one bad sensor unplugged (probably only temporarily) will this stop the ABS from kicking in when it shouldn't? When I have the money / time I will get the sensor replaced, but for the time being I just need it to get me where I am going without fearing the ABS is going to go whacko on me.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-28-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
rwmitch is on a distinguished road

ABS Light came on in my 2000 2wd blazer. C0221 was what displayed when searching for ABS codes. Couldn't find the code in Code Index here- but a google search produced "right front ABS sensor" hit... lines up with the shop reply in Sean89us first post. I was planning on buying one($55) & trying to clean the connectors on the current one first... I had a workday of shocks, balljoints, rear diff oil change planned & now the ABS light is added to the fun