Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

ball joint removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 PM
phantom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ball joint removal

Is it possible to get the bottom ball joint out of 1999 S10 Blazer 4x4 without taking the hub, brakes off etc.All Data seems to say that a pry bar used will free the stud. I tried that but I was by myself All data says two people required.I had all my weight on the pry bar while hiting knuckle with hammer but could not freethe ball joint stud from steering knuckle. Just wanted to know if I do get the ball joint stud free will I be able to get the ball joint out, looks like it might just come out?

Thanks

Well I answered my own question, got the stud free butthe ball joint isnot coming out without takeing rotor, brake caliper etc off. Any body know what size the axle nut is on 1999 S10 Blazer 4x4 LS ,4.3L, 2 Dr,36 mm? All data does not seem to say what size it would be.Those sockets are pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:58 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: ball joint removal

i don't really know what the size is for the axle nut but if you have autozone near you or any parts place nearby they should rent out tools or at least let you test fit sockets to your hub thats if you can drive it up to them or just give them a call and they should have it in there data base for size and whether or not they can loan it out to you i know if you get it from autozone you can use it and just turn around and return it unless you want to keep it for another time which is what i do when i get a specialty tool i just buy it to have it and before i know it im using it again. good luck. also if your replacing the ball joint check to see if its riveted into the control arm or bolted if its the riveted style you might as well just remove the whole control arm it will be easier to grind out the rivets then buy the bolt in style and bolt a new one back in.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM
phantom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response. No Auto Zone in Canada. Canadian Tire and NAPA. I do not think they rent tools. I will probably buy anyway good to have around.

Bottom joints are bolt. Top are rivets.

Thanks again

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

no prob thats what were here for to help one another out

Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the bottom are bolts already, that means they've been replaced before. Factory was rivets in both upper and lower. Atleast it'll make the removal process easier on ya!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

The axle nut should be a 36mm if I recall correctly. Otherwise it is a 34mm.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Mapoftazifosho is an unknown quantity at this point

It's 36mm

Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yep definately a 36mm as I am doing this job this weekend/tomorrow. Its a pain but I think you have to take all that off and may as well replace the uppers while you are at, saves you work later. Good luck.