Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Best rust inhibitor

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012 | 04:07 PM
|
Beginning Member
NowhereMan1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Best rust inhibitor

I have a 1999 Blazer, 4 door and when spring comes, I want to work to take care of any rust and surface rust on my frame and/or chassis so I can make it last as long as I can. I love the vehicle so much I want to keep it for a long time. I'm doing research as well as treated a few small rust areas. I've tried Duplicolor spray on rust remover that turns rust to primer and as an experiment, I did spray a small, one to two inch area on the frame on the left side just to see what it does. It does seem to work, turning rust ot primer, but I plan on getting the loose rust off in the spring and treating the rest and coat over it unless there is a better way. I did some online research and saw Rust Doctor where it turns the rust into a strong iron magnatite and it hardens into a latex coating to keep out moisture, salt and other things that can cause corrosion. Would that be a good way to go? I had a friend with a 1994 Blazer, he had to have his frame welded and reinforced due to rust and although I am far from that, I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 12-16-2012 | 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

oops never mind, thought you meant rust buster

Attached Thumbnails Best rust inhibitor-pi_vehcare_shop_x88a.jpg  

Last edited by abig84; 12-16-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2012 | 10:06 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NowhereMan1966
I have a 1999 Blazer, 4 door and when spring comes, I want to work to take care of any rust and surface rust on my frame and/or chassis so I can make it last as long as I can. I love the vehicle so much I want to keep it for a long time. I'm doing research as well as treated a few small rust areas. I've tried Duplicolor spray on rust remover that turns rust to primer and as an experiment, I did spray a small, one to two inch area on the frame on the left side just to see what it does. It does seem to work, turning rust ot primer, but I plan on getting the loose rust off in the spring and treating the rest and coat over it unless there is a better way. I did some online research and saw Rust Doctor where it turns the rust into a strong iron magnatite and it hardens into a latex coating to keep out moisture, salt and other things that can cause corrosion. Would that be a good way to go? I had a friend with a 1994 Blazer, he had to have his frame welded and reinforced due to rust and although I am far from that, I'd like to keep it that way.
Im having rust issues on my truck realy bad.I hope to prep it before it gets a chance to rust anymore before winter.

Old 12-16-2012 | 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i use loctite rust converter...i like it.
i buy it from home depot...has worked well for me.

Old 12-16-2012 | 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I use ace rust converter, have used it on the bumpers, and above the windshield. as i'm sure you are aware of, you must take a wire brush to the rust to flake off any that is lose, then spray, i would suggest if its for the chassis, to coat with some undercoating/bed liner after you are done with the rust converter

Old 12-16-2012 | 07:55 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

All depends on how much time and effort your willing to throw at it.
-You can use the product POR-15 to convert your rust and create a very effective paint barrier against further corrosion, this method can be quite time consuming. (Ive used it and recomend it)
-use Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Undercoating - Black Aerosol for similar results as mentioned above. (have not tried it)
-use converters as other members have mentioned, though personally I am unsure of they're durability.
-Use no-drip oil to stop further rust growth (also makes removal of bolts easier latter on) (I use AMSOIL MP Heavy-Duty Metal Protector as an extra layer of protection during the winter months)

Old 12-16-2012 | 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zanders
All depends on how much time and effort your willing to throw at it.
-You can use the product POR-15 to convert your rust and create a very effective paint barrier against further corrosion, this method can be quite time consuming. (Ive used it and recomend it)
-use Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Undercoating - Black Aerosol for similar results as mentioned above. (have not tried it)
-use converters as other members have mentioned, though personally I am unsure of they're durability.
-Use no-drip oil to stop further rust growth (also makes removal of bolts easier latter on) (I use AMSOIL MP Heavy-Duty Metal Protector as an extra layer of protection during the winter months)
I can contest to the ace rust converter and dupli color bed liner. I used it on both front and rear bumpers late spring, and it is holding up perfectly. and I recently in the late summer/ early fall used it around my windshield, and did not even cover it up with anything but the rust converter primer, because it got too cold, and we have already gotten 15 inches of snow, and ice, and rain, and it has not had a single problem, as long as you clean up the flaking rust, so there is nothing lose to fall off, you are good to go.

Old 12-17-2012 | 10:06 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
I can contest to the ace rust converter and dupli color bed liner. I used it on both front and rear bumpers late spring, and it is holding up perfectly. and I recently in the late summer/ early fall used it around my windshield, and did not even cover it up with anything but the rust converter primer, because it got too cold, and we have already gotten 15 inches of snow, and ice, and rain, and it has not had a single problem, as long as you clean up the flaking rust, so there is nothing lose to fall off, you are good to go.
Not to hijack or turn this into a weather thread LOL but I have been watching the nasty cold snow weather you guys have been getting on twc.
It has been that bad yet here,we have had 1 minor snow 1 and half inches.
We are supposed to get snow,freezing rain later this week just in time for christmas.

Anyhoot on the rust issue My jimmy is pretty clean,the frame is almost perfect.My truck on the other hand has large areas of flaking rust I want to get some kind of protectant on.Theres some stuff I heard of you basicaly paint over the rust with no prep needed and it turns it into a rust barrier but it cost $65 for a can.For that price it better be a large can.