Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bravada front diff. the same as a Blazer? AWDvs4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
GearHeadMechanics is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada front diff. the same as a Blazer? AWDvs4WD

I have a 91 Bravada for parts for my 91 Blazer. Is the front diff. the same as my Blazers? Its AWD so would it have the stupid vacume cable lock? I need to replace my front drivers side wheel shaft, but if I can get rid of the fail prone Blazer diff. I would. Thanks for all help with the Bravazer.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

IIRC: the TC is what makes the AWD work... front diff should be same...
it's full time AWD vs. 4 auto...

something like adding an astro case to make your jimmy AWD

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 PM

I have never heared of the front not working because of a vacume leak on a Bravada. Why would they make it so it needs vacume all the time to keep the front locked? I'm going to look further into it....

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I believe the differential itself is the same but the Bravada's do have a different passenger side axle shaft. The Blazer has a vacuum-controlled engagement collar but the Bravada is always engaged so there's no need for the vacuum controlled actuator. It is possible to swap over the parts from the Bravada's into the Blazers and still retain your stock 2HI, 4HI, 4LO capabilities. As long as your tcase is in 2HI, the front axle and driveshaft rotating will not interfere with any of your driving/turning.

It's also possible to just lock the actuator cable in position so that the Blazer axle stays engaged full time like the Bravada. It's not as strong as swapping in the Bravada parts though.

run a google search on"bravada shaft" (with the quotation marks around it) and you'll find plenty of info

Last edited by mdehoogh; 01-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Bravadas do not have a vacuum actuator. They have a solid passenger side shaft vice the two piece shaft that Blazer/Jimmy's have. If there is no problem with your diff in the Blazer, just swap out the Bravad shaft and tube for what you have on the Blazer. You will need to make a block off plate to where the actuator cable goes into the front diff. Then you can remove the cable, actuator and associated vacumm lines. Make sure you plug the vacuum line, though, down at the TC motor.

Edit: medhoogh beat me to it!

Last edited by AJBert; 01-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM

Ok I think I got it. I think I snapped my drivers side half shaft by leaving the front locked. I felt it binding when I turn, then a few days later it snapped. Could it have been from leaving it locked? Would the Bravada front diff bolt up easy or am I going to need to do custom work? Want to just straight axle it.