Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Clunk/clink from rear end. Popping from front (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/clunk-clink-rear-end-popping-front-34948/)

ligero18 09-21-2009 10:24 AM

Clunk/clink from rear end. Popping from front

Got a couple of questions. Tried searching but couldn't find my particular issues so I hope someone can help cause I'm irritated with this. I've got an '01 2WD 2DR Blazer w/ 63,000 miles.

When I put it in gear (reverse or drive) I get a fairly lound clinking sound from what sounds like the rear end. I don't know a whole lot about cars but would a bad U-joint make sense?

My second issue is the VERY unnerving sound that comes from the front when turning. It only does it on sharp turns (basically full lock - so only low speed like just starting off from parallel park), Best I can descibe it is a loud popping noise.

Sorry for the long post but I really need some help with this. Normally I find everything pretty easily on this site so don't have to post much. Thanks in advance!

Scott

Bberry20 09-21-2009 10:32 AM

As far as your "clinking" noise when you shift mine does the exact same thing and i replaced my u joints thinking it could be them and it didnt help. Talked with a guy at the shop and he said it could be bad transmision mounts. Worth checking into, i havent yet. Just did the rear end and going to try the mounts this weekend. Hope that helps for what its worth.

papacope 09-21-2009 10:43 AM

The same thing happens with my jimmy. I'll have to take a look at the transmission mounts... but the popping in the front end was always gone after i would get new ball joints and idler arm, not sure if it was one of those or not. just htought i'd throw that out there.

ligero18 09-21-2009 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bberry20 (Post 247295)
As far as your "clinking" noise when you shift mine does the exact same thing and i replaced my u joints thinking it could be them and it didnt help. Talked with a guy at the shop and he said it could be bad transmision mounts. Worth checking into, i havent yet. Just did the rear end and going to try the mounts this weekend. Hope that helps for what its worth.

Like I said I'n not a mechanic but U-joints is what I was thinking too. I doesn't do it everytime, maybe half the time, but still bothersome. Please let me know if the transmission mounts fix the problem! Thanks for the info saved me some time!

ligero18 09-21-2009 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by papacope (Post 247299)
The same thing happens with my jimmy. I'll have to take a look at the transmission mounts... but the popping in the front end was always gone after i would get new ball joints and idler arm, not sure if it was one of those or not. just htought i'd throw that out there.

Ball joints are at the end of the control arms right? Are they hard/expensive to replace? Would this only happen when just starting out and close to, or at full lock?

papacope 09-21-2009 02:04 PM

ball joints are at the ends of the control arms closest the the wheel and are relatively cheap and easy to replace. It would only make the noise when the wheels were at full lock, and not all the time, but most of the time. My rear end still made the "clinking" noise when i put it in gear even after i had to have my universal joints replaced after i dropped my drive shaft over spring break.

ligero18 09-21-2009 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by papacope (Post 247350)
ball joints are at the ends of the control arms closest the the wheel and are relatively cheap and easy to replace. It would only make the noise when the wheels were at full lock, and not all the time, but most of the time. My rear end still made the "clinking" noise when i put it in gear even after i had to have my universal joints replaced after i dropped my drive shaft over spring break.

Good...thanks for the info. I won't be able to do it for a couple of weeks, is there any chance of a catastrophic failure?

papacope 09-21-2009 03:18 PM

If it's the ball joints that are bad... yes. My seior year my passenger side upper ball joint failed. Messed up my aftermarket wheels, my brakes, cv shaft. Luckily I was just leaving a stop sign and only doing like 5mph, and it did all of that. If it were to fail at high speeds, it could result in loss of control of the vehicle.

ligero18 10-16-2009 08:41 AM

Update......checked the ball joints and they were fine (push/pull method at 12 and 6 o'clock). Check the tire rod ends and they were crap! Replaced, got and alignment, and problem solved! Hope this helps some else. Replaced both inner and outer and like I said not a mechanic but managed to get it done. Also got new front rotors and pads since there were 3 high spot grooves on the left side. Tried to get them turned but it was a no go (rusting from the inside was showing through after turning) so got new.

Anybody solve the *clink* noise when shifting into gear?

karatekid90 11-04-2009 12:38 PM

I had a clunking in my rear end and the last weekend it detonated. it was that the center pin in the housing was oblonging the whole that the pin was supposed to be secured in. I order a complete rearend from a used parts store but you want to be carefull when you do this because there are different rear ends for each type of braking system whether you have four wheel disk or drums in the back. I hope that you do not have as horrible luck as i do. It might also be that the allowance for the ring gear and pinion gear are not properly set.But i would say that your issue is the first 1.