Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 vacuum pressure?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM
bman192000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 vacuum pressure?

My 4x4 won't engage on my 94 blazer.

the light goes on and the transfer case engages and i checked the diaphragm under the battery box and it seems to hold pressure.
now i have vacuum but to me it seems a little weak so i think that might be the problem. anyone know how much pressure there is supposed to be?
any help is appreciated , it could snow anytime now

Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 vacuum pressure?

Should be somewhere close to engine manifold vacuum pressure. If it is low, then you have a cracked line somewhere.

It is also possible that the cable itself has started to freeze up a bit. You may need to lubricate it.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shoot man, just change out that crappy vacuum actuator for a locking cable.

Here is my how-to Very simple to do and only $25

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mysons95

Just finished troubleshooting my own 4WD-won't-engage issue. I just replaced the vacuum valve that hangs in the bracket near the firewall $54 + tax. I was in a rush, needed it done. If the actuator itself ends up failing, I'm going to go with a cable lock myself. I wish I'd had time to go posi-lock cable in the first place, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: abadinalbany

ORIGINAL: mysons95

Just finished troubleshooting my own 4WD-won't-engage issue. I just replaced the vacuum valve that hangs in the bracket near the firewall $54 + tax. I was in a rush, needed it done. If the actuator itself ends up failing, I'm going to go with a cable lock myself. I wish I'd had time to go posi-lock cable in the first place, but it just wasn't in the cards.
Hey, ya do what you have to do.

I would consider it whenever you can to go with the cable system. That way, when it gets really cold or really hot out, you know it's gonna lock no matter what.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With Auto4wd, going to a posi-lock setup will cause issues with your TCCM.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

With Auto4wd, going to a posi-lock setup will cause issues with your TCCM.
crappy, really? even if I don't use auto4wd?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

If you do not use it, you may not have any issues... It all depends on when you use 4wd. You should be fine, but the TCCM in an Auto4wd truck monitors the front axle engagement (via the trigger switch in the front axle) for proper engagement. I am not sure if it monitors it for disengagement. You may have to get a routine down for engaging and disengaging the front axle whenever you use 4wd.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Starting Member

good to know, thanks Kyle.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Good info.

So then, what years or models have the Auto-4WD?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 vacuum pressure?