Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

i need lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road
Angry i need lift

my 02 zr2 has a saggy rearend i have a set of 2inch lift shackles for it but i cant get the spring and frame bolts out of the stock shackles i used the forum ideas about hammering them and using c clamps but did not budge the bolts at all and ive considered cutting the bolts but i hear new bushings have to be pressed in anyone have any ideas

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I didn't press my bushings in and they have been holding strong for almost a year now. A better way to solve your sagging rear end that doesn't require removing the shackles is to get an add-a-leaf kit. putting longer shackles may help for a while but your leaf springs are still being strained too much. With an extra leaf it helps the other springs to have less pressure and lifts your truck back up. add-a-leafs are about the same price as a pair of shackles.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 PM

the shackles i have already and i have considered a addaleaf i need about 3.5 inches total in the rear for it to be level so maybe i should add the spring kit also im just frustrated with these shackles but thanks for info

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
spdfrk_29 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the add a leaf. My bolts where so siezed that i had to drill out the rubber bushing around the bolt after i cut the bold head to pound them out then i had to die grind through the outer sleve to get it out of the spring so point of the story dont get frustrated it took me about 2 hour a corner to get my shackles in well worth the !@?#&*!!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 AM
Beginning Member
Supaman is on a distinguished road

Pull out the torch and melt all that rubber out and just beat the hell out of it. They will come out eventually mine were the same way

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Supaman
Pull out the torch and melt all that rubber out and just beat the hell out of it. They will come out eventually mine were the same way
hmm burn/torch rubber that sits right beside the gas tank... good idea...

only bolt that gave me a problem was drivers bold through the spring, managed to get the top one out to lower the leaf and pounded with a sledge untill it came out.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 69chevelle

only bolt that gave me a problem was drivers bold through the spring, managed to get the top one out to lower the leaf and pounded with a sledge untill it came out.
Ok smart *** don't heat it up then just keep on beating. Go ahead and ask how many people heat it up in order to get it out. Obviously ur not to mechanically inclined otherwise u would b able to do this. Obviously I needed to explain dan don't blow a hole through the big plastic thing in front of you while you are heating up the bushing. I guess that didn't register with mr chevelle there. All u have to do is heat them up and let the burn a little bit so they get mushy they u can hammer it out

Last edited by Supaman; 09-23-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Beginning Member

Dan where u located at in Indy??

Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 69chevelle

Like supaman said. Its not a big deal. Just watch the tank. I wouldnt recommend it if the tank was leaking though. I have used a torch around a gas tank many times on many vehicles and never had a problem.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM

thank you all for the info im gonna tackle my shackles on sunday for the third time this time a sawzall in hand if i cant get them out im cutting them out lol

Quick Reply: i need lift