Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV shaft voodoo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Beginning Member
TheRealKoop is on a distinguished road
Default CV shaft voodoo

So ive decided to replace my entire CV shaft unit since its been leaking pretty badly and i can hear some nasty noise when turning from that area. I needed to replace the balljoints anyway.

So, everything is apart and going good. Tried to yank on the shaft to pull it out like ive done on FWD cars many times. Pulled the front of the sfat right off the tripot that is connected to the front diff case. No problem, ive got a new shaft!

But, this tripot that is inside the front diff WILL-NOT-MOVE. Ive noticed it has some kind of plate bolted to the diff? Must it be removed? The truck is currently in 4-hi, does it need to be disabled?

I put a pipe on the back of the tripot and hit it with a 5lb sledge pretty fiercely. I tried a 1ft prybar and it just bends. I brought out the big 5ft prybar and....nothing.

Ive got tomarrow off and then its back to work. As far as i can tell from all my searching and advice, and my ondemand 5 account, theres nothing to it. Just pop it out. Not happening however.

Thanks for any advice. Im really in a jam with this damn thing.

EDIT: I should add that this is an 01' ZR2 model. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Last edited by TheRealKoop; 05-14-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Details
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

deleting all my posts

Last edited by jsmz; 05-31-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah i figured as much, i disabled it anyway, the tript spins freely. Ill try bashing it again. I was certain it was only the retainer ring but after a huge amount of effort i figured id ask about it. Thanks mate.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

I fought with this exact scenario on my wife's Rav-4 last summer and tugged, pulled, beat, pryed, cussed, threw tools, (you get the idea) for a day and a half. Everyone I talked to said, "Just pull and it should pop right out." I swore if I heard that one more time I was going to snap. Hang in there, here comes the suggestion. Finally, my Dad was able to get a pry bar behind the C.V. "cup" from the top side and apply some pressure. At the same time, I gave it another smack with the hammer from under-neath and it shot out. I could only figure that I was putting the splined shaft in a bind. (Prying up instead of out.)

Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Beginning Member

Ive removed plenty, this one just wont do anything. Ive got a hooked prybar behind it and literally jumped on it. I beat the hell out of from the back so hard that the thing seemed like it was going to rock off the jackstands. Do you know of the blazer has a chamfer on both sides of the ring? The only thing i can think is that the ring was installed backwards.

Ill try to hire someone to smack it while i pry it like you suggested. If not im putting the new balljoints in and driving it without a shaft. No joke.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

deleting all my posts

Last edited by jsmz; 05-31-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member

Any diagnosis on CV shaft noises?

I ended up putting the shaft back in with a new wheel bearing. repacked it with grease and a new boot. Now when i drive i get a pretty awesome grinding noise. If i put it in 4Hi it gets even worse. I dont remember this issue earlier. When i put the CV back into the tricup it probably didnt go in the way it came out is my guess. Should i be worried about my front diff now? Ive basically replaced my entire front end to get rid of noise (both wheel bearings, all 4 tires, all the front balljoints/tie rods. Obviously i didnt replace the cv shafts -_-

its like one thing after another.