Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Drive line question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road
Default Drive line question

I have a question regarding my 98 S10 Blazer. First off, a little history about it. When I got it, it had a lift, SAS swap using Jeep axles and Isuzu Trooper leaf springs. To attach the rear of the leaf springs, the previous owner had a solid crossmember that ran from one side of the frame to the other, just to mount the rear shackles, this blocked the path for the front drive shaft. I was OK with it since the weather was nice and didn't really need 4 wheel drive. Fast forward to just recently, I found some brackets and a new trans crossmember, so now the front drive line has a clear path to the front axle, here's where the problem lies. It's not long enough (about 4 inches short) and it won't droop enough to meet up with the front yoke. I need to know what yoke I can use on the transfer case so I can have a u joint at both ends of the axle, and what axle I could use. This is all fairly new to me, I used to be into imports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Do you have a CV(not the 2 joints style) on the transfer case end of the shaft?

Last edited by Diaita; 11-20-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Starting Member

There is just a splined shaft coming out of my transfer case

Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM

unfortunately there is no yoke that will attach to that stub and you cant use the stock CV set up once you go to a solid axle. there are a couple ways you can go about it though.

The best, most dependable and strongest way to do it involves changing your front output shaft inside your transfer case. it may sound involved, but i managed to do mine in just over an hour. you will need a shaft from a
NP231 transfer case(Jeep Chevy Dodge), only catch is there are a couple choices for chain width. All the NP231C (chevy) transfer cases ive seen have a wide chain, which is what you have in your transfer case. you need a case that has a fixed yoke on it. once you have the shaft in you can simply install a seal from a fixed yoke case and a double carden yoke(recommended) or standard yoke. once thats done you can used a cherokee front driveshaft and lengthen it accordingly.

you can take your current CV, disassemble it, and use the splined part of it to make an adapter to accept a standard u-joint or double carden CV. some guys have done this with success, but i wouldnt, its begging for problems.

any questions, let me know, i just finished doing all this to mine.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:01 PM

as a side note since you do imports, i used Toyota drive flanges on my transfer case so i could use far stronger Toyota CVs

Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Starting Member

Gah! I was hoping for a somewhat easy fix to this. The weather is starting to turn to snow and I don't think my Blazer would do very well in the snow. Money is super tight right now, so, it looks like I may end up having to park it until I can fix it. Crap!

Thanks for the help. A guy I know is parting out a Jeep, but for some reason, he refuses to sell/trade me anything. Not sure what the deal is? I have never done him wrong, never ripped him off. He told a buddy of mine he was parting out everything. Not the case when I asked him.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 PM

The transfer case and front drive shaft should be what you need. Could have a narrow chain in it though.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Starting Member

Other than Jeep axles front and rear, the rest of the drive train is all stock. I need to figure out a longer rear drive line, looks like it may not be seated on the output shaft all the way.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by whyteb0y
Other than Jeep axles front and rear, the rest of the drive train is all stock. I need to figure out a longer rear drive line, looks like it may not be seated on the output shaft all the way.
Do you have any pics of your truck? Im curious how tall it is and what the driveline looks like. Maybe i can guide you a bit better...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Starting Member

Name:  IMAG0071.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  212.2 KB

I don't have any of the drive line(s), but, if you need/want some pics, I could probably do it tomorrow, assuming the weather is nice. It's been raining quite a bit here lately.

Quick Reply: Drive line question