Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Drive line question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Nice machine! Id like to see the angle of your front pinion. depending on the angle you may or may not need a CV.

I feel you pain, It doesnt stop raining here(Vancouver Island)

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Thank you. my front leaf springs are a little short, so it's causing my rear shackles to lean forward. I'm working on getting longer leafs. Right now I have 2 degree pinion shims on the front axle. I'll see if I can get a pic of the front axle tomorrow. What angle or whatever are you wanting/needing to see?

Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM

the angle that the pinion has in relation to the transfer case. if it points straight at the output of the transfer case, you need a cv yoke, but if the pinion is somewhat parallel to it you need a standard yoke.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Starting Member

If memory serves me correctly, it's almost parallel to the output shaft on the transfer case. I'll see if I can get pics to show ya. Another thing, after we put the new crossmember and shackle brackets on, I was driving home, doing about 35 and all of a sudden the front end started almost bouncing. I had a guy coming toward me, he pulled over and told me my front wheels were wobbling, bad. That's the first and only time that's ever happened. I limped my Blazer home after that, did like 10 miles an hour and it didn't happen again. The front tires seemed to howl a little more than normal. I'm wondering if switching the pinion shims to the way they were supposed to (they were backwards) might have thrown off my caster? Like I said, the lifted truck/4x4 world is all new to me, so, I don't know the lingo, yet.

I knew this needed work when I got it, but, I got the Blazer and a grand for this.

Name:  C360_2012-03-18-21-29-16.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  106.0 KB

This is how my Blazer sat when I first got it.

Name:  Mine.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  43.5 KB

I needed something bigger for my family. My step son is 17 years old and he's 6 foot 7. That and I've wanted an s10 Blazer for a while. I came across this one on Craigslist and made the deal.

With what I've done to it so far, I'm still well under the 1000 dollars I got with the truck. I just want to get the 4 wheel drive working since we'll see snow, soon.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM

sounds like a 'death wobble'. it's caused from the front steering of suspension linkage being worn usually. caster and severly out of balance tires can cause a wobble. should have a min 5 degrees negative caster. that means the top ball joint is further toward the rear of the truck than the bottom ball joint by a 5 degree angle.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Starting Member

I think I found the culprit. I drove my truck tonight, felt awful. Came home and parked it, fearing the worst. I went out and started it, turned my wheels so they looked straight, come to find out, the passenger wheel is turned out slightly. Which would make sense, my steering wheel is off. Instead of the bar on the wheel being horizontal, it's almost vertical. I'll work on it Friday, since tomorrow is a holiday and will be spent with family. I'll jack it up, take the bar off the pitman arm, turn my steering wheel straight and adjust the steering accordingly. Then I'll pull measurements off the tires to get the toe right. I know you're supposed to have some negative toe, I just don't know how much. I think if I'm within a 16th of an inch, that should suffice, right?

Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM

at normal ride height it should be about 1/16-1/8" toed in.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the numbers. If we get done with dinner soon enough tomorrow, I may tackle it then. I haven't really driven my Blazer in almost 2 weeks because of this. The weather has been crap and my back has been bugging me. So, now that I feel well enough to do something, it's time to do work.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Starting Member

Just went out and pulled some measurements. From the middle of the passenger side tire to the middle of the driver side tire on the front it was 63 3/4. From the middle of the passenger side tire on the back to the middle of the driver side tire it was 62. I think I found my problem. As soon as some tools get here, its time to do work.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM

cool! that ain't right! just make sure you are measuring the same spot on the tire when you do it, the tread isnt always uniform all the way around the tire.

Quick Reply: Drive line question