Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Axle Yoke Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member
firewalker is on a distinguished road
Default Axle Yoke Removal

My project is to replace the Transfer Case Motor/Encoder Assembly with a Dorman 600-900 that will arrive in a few days.

Removing the front output shaft yoke is the problem at hand. The nut has a torque of 150 ft lbs, which may or may not be a problem – helpful tips Welcome.

Pulling the yoke itself appears to be the problem. Unless the many of our site rebuilders all have a yoke puller such as a Tiger Yoke Puller, how is this accomplished?

I have researched various threads, but with very limited results.

My ride is a 1994 S10 4wd with a 233 transfer case.

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-12-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Removal of the yoke shouldn't be that difficult unless the splines have froze between the yoke & the pinion. The nut can be easily removed with an air impact on the nut & a pipe wrench on the yoke if necessary. I believe that the IFS front ends are setup with shims to set the pinion depth and use a solid spacer w/ shims to give the proper bearing preload so installation should be as simple as torquing the nut back to factory spec if you are only going in there to replace the seal. Hold the pinion yoke with a pipe wrench while zipping the nut back on with an air impact & then torque to spec. To stave off oil leaks through the splines of the yoke, put some Ultra Black RTV (or Permatex's new Gear Oil RTV) under the washer.

Why are you removing the pinion yoke on the front axle?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member

According to Alldata info, to gain access and replace the Transfer case Motor/Encoder assembly, the front yoke should be removed.

What is your method to easily remove the yoke.

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-12-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I misunderstood your post thinking you were trying to remove the front pinion yoke on the front diff, not the yoke on the transfer case.

You will likely have to remove the front driveshaft or just disconnect it from the yoke on the transfer case... Try that first.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member

I'm removing the 4WD transfer case front output shaft yoke, that turns the front propeller shaft to the front axle. This output shaft yoke is next to the motor/encoder unit that attaches to the transfer case.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Your thread title was the misleading part. Contradicts what you wrote...