Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replaced Pitman Arm, now steering is off center

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replaced Pitman Arm, now steering is off center

I replaced the pitman arm because the Blazer pulled to the right slightly and there was slop in the steering that I figured I would need to reduce before a quality alignment could be done. Well, finished the pitman arm butwhen the wheels are straightthe steering wheel is 90 degrees (est)offto the right.[sm=headbang.gif] Ithought I keep good track of how everything came apart in hopes of putting it all back together without having this issue. Is it common for this to occur?

Idon't know where I could have made a mistake. The pitman arm has grooves that fit over the spline on the steering box, and it has four flat spots spaced evenly between the grooves, meaning that in order to install the pitman arm incorrectly, I would have had to put the new pitman arm on at a 90 degree angle incorrectly, and I'm positive I didn't make that mistake. The intermediate shaft did come out of the steering column when I removed the steering gear box, but it has two flat sides, so it could have only been reinstalled one of two ways and I distinctly remember loosing the pinch bolt from the top of the engine bay, so that should mean I put it back on the correct way. And, the intermediatesteering shaft that connects to the steering box can only slide into placeone way, so that has to be okay. The steering wheel was locked so it couldn't have moved. So, if I made an error, can anyone tell me where? This really has me stumped and frustrated.

If you've done this repair before, did anyone else have this issue?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replaced Pitman Arm, now steering is off center

This is something that an alignment shop can fix when they do the alignment. No two pitman arms are the same. There are slight variations and because there is a rotational reduction between the steering box input and output, a slight variation can lead to a pronounced difference in steering wheel alignment.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member

Whew!!! That makes mefeel a LOT better coming from one of the most knowledgable/helpful people here.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to help. Not too sure about the "most knowledgeable" person here, but I try.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Beginning Member

Update: Took it in for the alignment and was told it couldn't be done as is, because the steering wheel is off too far (90 degrees to the right)to be adjusted with the tie rods. Apparently, there wouldn't be enough threads remaining to be safe. Anyone else ever had this problem or a know a solution?

Looks like I'm going to have to take it all apart and do it over again...(Insert expletive and many exclamation points here)

Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

I'm not positive but can the pitman arm only connect up tp the steering box one way? Or could you turn the wheel when the arm is off to get it lined up better? Have you replaced anything else on the steering besides the pitman arm? You should do the balljoints and tie rods and idel arm while your at it.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

ORIGINAL: bertrenolds

I'm not positive but can the pitman arm only connect up tp the steering box one way? Or could you turn the wheel when the arm is off to get it lined up better? Have you replaced anything else on the steering besides the pitman arm? You should do the balljoints and tie rods and idel arm while your at it.
The pitman arm has four flat grooves that are evenly spacedthat only allow it to be mounted to the steering box 1 of 4 ways (90 degree spacing)...like 3,6,9 and 12 on a clock. Either pitman arm was manufactured incorrectly (not likely) or I did do something wrong, I just haven't figured out what yet. While I did the work, I left the steering wheel locked in place, like the repair manuals suggest. Two manuals had it written in bold to keep the steering wheel from moving, so I don't want to go against that advice.

As far as the ball joints and tie rods, Igot the truck a month ago withboth upper ball jointsrecently replaced.The rest of the joints are in good shape. I had some looseness in the steering wheel, mainly due to the worn pitman arm, so I replaced it in order to get it aligned. Most of the loose feelis gone, enough that I am happy. Now if I could just figure out where I went wrong.

Thanks for the response.I am hoping someone's comments will spur a plan.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member

Update:

Finally got around to fixing my issue with the newly replaced pitman arm causing my steering wheel to be off center 90*. Turned out the pitman arm was defective! FYI, the defective pitman arm was the "OE Brand" from Advance Auto, their cheapest pitman arm...made in China. I ended up re-replacing it with a TRW brand unit, made in the USA. Worked perfectly. Damnit..all that work of replacing it and having to do it all over again. Another reminder that you can cheap-out on some parts (easy to replace) but don't cheap out when the job is a pain-in-the *** to do.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the problem you buy cheap crap expect poor fitment and poor quality and a short life of the components. In the long run cheap parts cost you more anyway usually.