Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
watsonmt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front diff

hey i blew my front diff and drive shaft the other day... big big hole.... anyway im putting a new diff in and im just wondering, i was thinking of welding it up solid and i know it will be bad for corners in 4x4... but if its just in 2 wheel drive going down the road will it affect my corneing with no load on it?

Thanks Matt

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: front diff

What were you planning on welding up solid? The front differential spider gears themselves? If so, this would most definitely present a problem while turning.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Doesnt matter if youre in 4x4 or not...if you have a straight welded axle up front, you're going to bark tires around corners. Also a mini-spool would be much safer than simply welding it together..

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 PM

ive welded many spiders for derbys and such but nothing ive had on the road, i just am looking for a way to lock the front that isnt going to cost around 500. is there any way from like junk yard parts i could accoplish this. aftermarket lockers like ditroit or lockright are just too much money for me to invest in right now.

Thanks guys

Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

From what I understand...you want to weld the front axle, and have no front driveshaft?

If you dont have the driveshaft, would a locker even engage? I'm not sure what forces lock the detroits...but the lockrights are an RPM difference on the wheels just like the gov-locks?

Maybe you should just weld it

Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 AM

no ill still need the drive shaft or else i wouldnt really have a 4 wheel drive to lok the would i lol. i just want a cheaper way than a expensive locker to make my front end lock up so both wheels turn like my rear posi. when im in 4x4. but i still want good driveability in 2x4 for in town. just wondering if there is and parts i could mabey get at the parts yard to accoplish this or something that is ceaper than a $500 locker

Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As you found out, the front axles in these trucks are not all that strong. That is why most people go for a SFA swap instead of pouring money into the stock front axle. Not in everyones budget, I know.

You are asking for trouble if you weld the spiders in the front diff. It will not hold long term and will likely result in trashing the whole front diff housing...

There is no cheap way to lock the front axle on these trucks. But, to get a stronger front diff, you could look for the iron front diff used in the ZR2 and some manual transmission equipped 2nd gens (2dr only).

Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM

ya i can believe it i just got under and got a good look completely destroyed the new u joint, and split the diff like an egg.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Now try to think what would happen with a spool (effectively what you do when you weld up the spider gears) on a high traction surface while turning!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM

i know that but there wouldn't be any load on it when your in 2x4 on the road so i didnt think it would be too bad. and i was in mud up to my window when i broke that but i did get out lol

Quick Reply: front diff