Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

convert automatic to standard?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default convert automatic to standard?

Hi everyone,

Lately my 02 Blazer has been shifting hard. I have a feeling that my transmission is on borrowed time. Has anyone heard of or successfully converted their Blazer to a standard? My mother owns a Bravada with the shifter on the floor so I'm thinking its not too crazy of an idea. Is there an aftermarket kit available to do this? It would be great for bombing around in 4x4 in the winter.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

With enough time and money, anything is possible. I don't imagine the swap would be cheap, and 5spd Blazers were fairly rare. I haven't seen a kit for one, but I'm sure there is one out there.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

The floor shifter in the Bravada (and some Blazers/Jimmys) don't have a direct linkage to the tranny. It's all cable operated. The only hole in the floor is an oval cutout about 1x3 inches. That's just in front of the drivers seat.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i have a 2004 blazer and the shifter is on the floor.. it is cable and its not that great. It hits large drinks from places like mcdonalds and such forcing you to take them out before putting the shifter into park.

i'd actually prefer a column mount because i want to place speakers in the center and the shifter is in the way.

i'm way late on this thread...

Last edited by MTopper; 01-28-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: edit spelling haha
Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm.........didn't see this one, when it made it's rounds the first time.

Originally Posted by Sisk
With enough time and money, anything is possible. I don't imagine the swap would be cheap, and 5spd Blazers were fairly rare. I haven't seen a kit for one, but I'm sure there is one out there.
not sure if you were refering to the 1st or 2nd gen's Alex (i'd guess 2nd gen), but i know when they stopped the 1st gen body style, so did they with the option of a 5 spd in the 4 doors.

my '92 Jimmy, was 1 of only 2 in all of Canada (4 door, 4x4, 5spd), for it's year of production. i know that they made @ least one in '94 (a red 4 door, 4x4 Blazer).

like i stated back in the fall, i'm seriously thinking of doing this swap in my '98 (i still have one of my trans kickin' around here), i'm just looking for a p/u that's been wrote off. you'd be surprised how few manual trans'd S10/15's there actually are out there @ auctions.