Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Front Driveshaft (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/front-driveshaft-5406/)

JGarr 09-10-2006 04:46 PM

Front Driveshaft

Looking to replace my Front Driveshaft and/or put a conversion kit on the transfer case end. If you aren't familiar, there is a CV joint on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. I put a 6" suspension lift on last year and as far as I can tell the new, steeper angle caused the boot to rip. I am told that there is a conversion kit that replaces the CV joint with a regular U-joint and then I can get a custom shaft fabricated at my local driveshaft repair place. Has anyone had any problems like this and do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks up front for the help

Chevy Lover 09-10-2006 05:24 PM

RE: Front Driveshaft

Welcome to the forum.
When you have technical questions it's really a good idea to tell us some of the details, like year, make, model etc...

JGarr 09-10-2006 06:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Chevy Lover.

Here is the info:

Make: Chevy
Year: 2002
Model: ZR2 S-10 Blazer
Other: I put a 6" Superlift on it.

I'm working on some pictures of the problem.

Any other info that might help?

JGarr 01-31-2007 08:49 PM

So, I still haven't figured out how to fix my front drive shaft problem. Ran out of money and time over the holidays......

2002, ZR2
6" suspension lift

I looked into a conversion kit to put a standard type driveshaft on but, there isn't one available for the 2002, ZR2 Transfer case (GM-236). I then looked into just fixing the problem temporarily but the shop I talked to said the parts are on back order and that would just fix it for a little while. With the 6" lift kit the angle is too steep for the driveshaft which is a poor design to begin with. If I replace the transfer case I can have a custom shaft fabricated but that seems to be way too expensive. There has to be a better way. Any advice is appreciated.

Josh

swartlkk 02-01-2007 10:29 AM

Many lifts require the TC to be clocked... You may have to get a clocking ring to twist the TC front output down to help the alignment.

JGarr 02-01-2007 09:59 PM

I will look into the clocking ring. Any idea where I can find that and what is the install like? Is it internal to the TC?

Thanks for the advice swartlkk.

swartlkk 02-01-2007 10:57 PM

Not a problem! That's what we're here for.

A clocking ring gets installed between the transmission and the TC. I'm not sure if one is available for your application, but I would definitely contact Superlift's customer support and ask them about the issues you are having after installing their lift.

JGarr 02-03-2007 01:22 PM

I will definitely call Superlift and run it by them. I checked out their forums and noticed a couple of ZR2's on there that had the same lift. I'm wondering if this happened to them or if it was just a one time thng with mine. I may just be able to have that CV joint re-built. I found a place that does that but, they said the parts are on backorder and have been for a while.

Thanks again....

Blasir 02-04-2007 02:22 AM

How can you call the CV joint on the Blazer front driveshaft a poor design? Mine lasted 286K miles.

20Blazer00 02-04-2007 02:48 AM

Well when the parts installed have a limited functionality then some people get frustrated. And since the "CV" joint is actually two universal joints in a single housing designed for them there is a limited amount of height that can be applied to that before it becomes a failure point...