Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Front end vibration (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/front-end-vibration-84558/)

teklife256 02-22-2014 11:28 PM

Front end vibration

My 4x4 1999 blazer has an odd front end vibration. The vibration and dull noise is rotational and increases with speed. It feels as though there is some sort of increased friction on the front axle. The noise and vibration are slight but enough to be concerning. It almost seems like an exhaust issue but, the muffler shop says all is kosher. When the vehicle goes through a bump or dip the vibration ceases. What role does suspension play here? I recently replaced the driver side lower ball joint and an exhaust piece which possibly masked this issue. The transmission had been eliminated from the equation by placing vehicle in neutral while at speed and max vibration remains. Someone told me it could be a bearing. How could I eliminate/confirm bearing?

teklife256 02-27-2014 06:00 PM

An update. I have noticed that the vibration stops when I turn right and becomes noticeable at about 30mph.

Maybe an axle?

kajida 02-28-2014 04:02 AM

My first thought is hubs... I'd lift the truck up, grab the tire that's off the ground at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wobble it... If there's play in it your hubs are shot. That's the first thing I would try and go from there. Hubs are common in Blazers.

teklife256 03-08-2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kajida (Post 620282)
My first thought is hugreen thebs... I'd lift the truck up, grab the tire that's off the ground at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wobble it... If there's play in it your hubs are shot. That's the first thing I would try and go from there. Hubs are common in Blazers.

There is a slight amount of wobble when I grab and move the tire like you advised. Is that a typical for bad hubs? Someone else told me that when the bearings go bad that they will make squeak or whine while I don't really hear any of that. This blazer has been a great rig and just trying to keep her on the road. Thougts?

kajida 03-15-2014 01:09 AM

Well, without looking at it myself, I would still think it's your hubs. Mine never made noise either, but the vibration was concerning. Replaced mine and the vibration disappeared.

Another check for your hubs would be to take the tire, caliper, and rotor completely off. Then I would try to spin the hub by hand. It should spin nice and smooth with slight effort. If you have to put any muscle into turning it or it's not nice and smooth, I would still say hubs. Of course it could be your CV joints or shafts, but hubs are the most common, so that's where I really would start.

teklife256 03-15-2014 04:56 PM

The issue was resolved with replacing the hub. Thanks for the help.

kajida 03-18-2014 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by teklife256 (Post 621808)
The issue was resolved with replacing the hub. Thanks for the help.

Good to hear! And no problem! :icon_woot: