Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

front sway issues, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member
arroyo-blazed98 is on a distinguished road
Default front sway issues, HELP!!!

hey guys
my 98 4x4 4door has had lots done to it since i had it, and still seems as if its hard to keep goinlg strait on road, not really hard, just impossable to find a good medium... if u understand what im sayin, like theres too much turn and cant find strait, not swaying bad, but noticable..... since i had the truck, its got new parts listed below....
all shocks
all brakes
all calipers, front hub bearings
all upper and lower ball joints.
allignment, along with lots of other parts that donot relate to suspension.....
allignment 4week check up diagnosis was dead on...
but i still have the little swaying, and im not that bad a driver, feels as if front if lose in steering, but theres no noise, im running new 255/70 tires
could it be idler arm, or pitman arm?
could it also be the torsion bars, seems as if it sits lower in the front than rear, i have pics i can text to show stance, but all in all it seems good, tight steering at low speeds, but from 50mph up, theres the little sway........ any help?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

idler arm,and possible worn rag joint on steering shaft.

ID go more towards idler. blazers eat em for breakfast. Make sure you get a good $60 moog or trw. the cheap ones dont last but a few months.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Beginning Member

ill get idler, and try that
but if that dont cure the problem....
where would u go next.....
its kinda like everyones papaws old 50s chevy truck, with the play in the steering trying to keep it strait on the road.....

Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

lol be glad its not like the 80's dodge trucks. they had a issue with cracking the frame where the gearbox mounted. lots of fun there. I had one...

Do this before you buy it. Jack front end up,have someone wiggle the tires (9 and 3 oclock position) and look at the idler arm. if it moves up and down at all its bad. If its fine,id look at the rag joint. its a leather disk that is riveted in your steering shaft that runs to the gear box. If you look at your gearbox where the shaft runs into it you will see a round cone shaped cover. in that cover is that rag joint. they help keep vibrations out of the steering wheel. They work great until they wear out. then you wobble,and have play in the steering wheel. You can find them over at the dorman "help!" carded section at your local auto store.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member

ok
thanks. ill check that out....

Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member

jacked it up today after church, went to dads shop and raised the whole front, and it does have wiggle in it side to side...... no up and down, but side to side.....
cant see anything cause the skid plate, but i guess its the idler arm????....
would pitman arm have anything to do with it, or will i just need the idler?
let me remind u, it ha just had new upper and lower ball joints on both sides, and allignment..... so why didnt the allignment guy tell me this? or even check it out?
he charge me $225 for allignment and install all ball joints, that i also bought myself.......
did i get screwed or what?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

225 for an alignment and ball joint labor isn't that bad at all i don't think. But if your steering wheel feels "spongy" then its probably the rag joint like everyone else is guessing.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran

balljoints,if factory is a pain in the butt as its riveted and you have to drill em out. if you got all 4 done,with alignment. 225 is good.

When you said it wouldnt go up and down. were you pushing the tire up and down?

When i said to look for up and down,i was refferring to looking at the idler its self and not the tire. the idler will move up and down. you need to pull the skid and check it out.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

no, i put a bar under tire like i seen allignment guy do when ball joints was bad, dad says its idler arm,
so i guess ill try that 1st, since all but what i done to it is original parts, with 230k miles.....
ill do idler, if that dont work ill go to that steering rag....