Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

sheesh, changed rear end fluid and now only 1 tire spins

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
Gnfanatic is on a distinguished road
Default sheesh, changed rear end fluid and now only 1 tire spins

Guys, Happy New Year and I need your help! My rear end cover was rotting bad so i replaced it and the rear end fluid. I bought napa brand rear end fluid (forgot the weight) and additive for slip diff. No noise or anything like that. but now that we have snow I have realized only the pass side tire spins Is it possible the slip diff additive was the wrong stuff?? I feel like removing the cover , cleaning it out and putting royal purple in. I hope i didnt damage anything

Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you have the G80, there is no need for any type of additives as they may cause damage. Though, I can't see it happening so fast. How long ago did you change fluid and the cover?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

+1, dont use additive in the g80 ! it will do more bad than good.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member

guys I did not know this. It is possible the unit went bad over the summer without me realizing due to no snow or offroading. I am not sure if I need to rebuild the unit now or drain fluid and see what happens. it is possible the clutches are gone. what should I try first??

BTW, I did the fluid change about 2 months ago and put roughly 200 miles on it. but still not sure if the fluid is to blame or the unit has been bad

Originally Posted by AJBert
If you have the G80, there is no need for any type of additives as they may cause damage. Though, I can't see it happening so fast. How long ago did you change fluid and the cover?

I have the G80 unit. i changed the fluid 2 months ago, put roughly 200 miles on. I need to see how I can test this unit before removing it.

alrighty then. after doing some research on here it comes to my attention I might not have G80 unit in my blazer. Its a 1995 4dr 4wd, 7.5 inch rear, No Z series. if i dont have a G80 unit, what do i have??

thanks for the help guys

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 01-22-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: If you have something more to add and another member has yet to respond, please edit your post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

In the same place you were looking for the G80 code (glove box), look for another G code. GU6, GT4, etc. Post back up or search that code on here and will tell you which gear ratio you have. If you definitely don't have G80 in your glove box then you definitely don't have limited slip (from the factory anyway).

When you had it open, did it look like this:

Or this:

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
In the same place you were looking for the G80 code (glove box), look for another G code. GU6, GT4, etc. Post back up or search that code on here and will tell you which gear ratio you have. If you definitely don't have G80 in your glove box then you definitely don't have limited slip (from the factory anyway).

When you had it open, did it look like this:

Or this:
Thanks for your help. I am almost positive the bottom pic.