Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front wheels catching in sharp 4wd turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road
Default Front wheels catching in sharp 4wd turns?

Kso.. Bought this blazer a couple weeks ago from my buddy who I came across on here last night.. everything works fine (after I put a directional switch in the first night) except the 4wd seems to try and lock up the front wheels when I have it engaged and when I turn sharp and slow, say into a parking space. So far I've only made sharp right turns and haven't tried it with the wheel to the left. It does this going forward and backing up. Anyone have this problem before that could give me some insight?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road

Is this happening while on dry pavement?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean it kicks back and forth, if so its working right, if there is no difference between 2 and 4wd them there is a problem

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Yes on dry pavement.

And it's not really kicking back and forth so much as just not wanting to go without giving it extra gas..

Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road

Don't use 4 wheel drive on dry pavement because it locks the front and rear axles together. When turning each wheel moves a different distance and when this happens on a surface like snow, mud or sand the wheels slip a little and everything's fine, but on dry pavement there is to much traction to slip and it causes binding.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM

sounds like the front axle is engaging but the t-case isn't.

I'm assuming you have push button 4x4

When you try to engage it do you hear a click sound from the t-case?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 PM

- That makes sense, everything goes fine in 2wd.

- Yes I do have push button. I haven't really been listening for a click but then again the super 44 doesn't really grant much to listen for. Than again... the t case does engage as well b/c I started slipping the rears on wet pavement a few days ago then I pushed the 4 Hi and I regained traction.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM

Then it would be the front axle not engaging and the t-case engaging, I just had this problem with my blazer.

The problem probably is the vacuum actuator.

Being that you have a 95 I'm not sure where your vacuum actuator is, It may be under the battery tray like 96+'s are.

But once you find this, https://static.am-autoparts.com/item/dc058a8127.jpg

Check to see if the seal (on the bottom of the pic) is ripped. If so this is your problem!
Also check if the vacuum line is hook and if it has suction. You can test it by pulling it off, starting the truck and putting it in 4x4, then put your finger over the hole and feel for suction.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, that would be everything working correctly. When locked into 4wd, there is no speed difference between the front and rear driveshafts. While turning, all 4 wheels are taking different paths. The drivetrain is binding up due to this. One tire has to slip to relieve the bind. Extra power is required to make this happen. Completely normal.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Well that solves it! Thanks guys for your help. I'm still a newbie to 4wd being this is my first truck and all so I've got a bit to learn. Wonder how many times I'll get myself stuck...

Quick Reply: Front wheels catching in sharp 4wd turns?