Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

are lifetime rotors better than 1 year?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default are lifetime rotors better than 1 year?

Replacing front rotors on my 93 s10 blazer 4x4. I use it part time to deliver mail.

Is there an actual difference between 1 yr warranty rotors and lifetime or are you just paying for the warranty?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I always buy the lifetime parts, and Oreillys still thinks I drive a 88 s-10 that I haven't owned in over 8 trucks. They also think dad and at one point my brother drove the same truck. My brother had to go and screw up and buy a 2nd gen tho.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan on running your blazer for more than a year, you might as well get the lifers. I use my 98 jimmy for mail delivery. Average life of brake pads... 3-4 months, rotors... 12-18 months.

11.7 mpg is better than the 9.5-10 mpg I get.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Why wouldn't you get lifetime? Sort of a redundant question IMO.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Lifetime rotors are more expensive. The 1 or 2 yr warranty rotors are cheaper and if your local parts store is cool, you can return your old rotors in that time period for new ones for free.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Lifetime rotors are more expensive. The 1 or 2 yr warranty rotors are cheaper and if your local parts store is cool, you can return your old rotors in that time period for new ones for free.
man, would i like to know what part store you deal with!

i've been dealing with the same parts supplier for 15 years, and they'd look @ me like i had just smoked a fatty before walkin' in if i tried that.

i've also never seen "lifetime" on any drum or rotor before-not even from Raybestos (the only brake products i use). i've had "lifetime" on their pads & shoes, but that's it.

how would you claim warrenty on a rotor? tell them it became warpped? well..........isn't that what happens when you use the brakes, they tend to wear the pads & warp the rotors. therefore needing replacing & machining. so how is that a manufacturing defect (which is usually what the warrenty is made to cover).

Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Lifetime rotors are more expensive.
I know. Thus why I was wanting to know if lifetime rotors are actually better... are they thicker, heavier, better metal etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Sisk
Why wouldn't you get lifetime? Sort of a redundant question IMO.
Yeah, usually that would be a no-brainer. But the age of the vehicle and not knowing if lifetime rotors are physically better or are you just paying for the warranty.

I guess I should have mentioned... I'm not trying to be cheap but money is tighter than ever right now. I won't go cheap for the sake of being cheap but if going cheap gives me the same product (not concerned with warranty right now) then I could really benefit from the lower price right now.

But if the lifetime rotors will actually last longer then it would be worth it.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time you get practically the same rotor as the budget ones just with a warranty.

I'll refer to the oh so true statement from Tommy Boy:
Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of *crap*. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Anyone can throw a guarantee onto a product and people will buy it regardless of the quality. I have used a lot of guaranteed parts in the past and have always been disappointed. I now use only bendix or raybestos brand rotors whenever I do a brake job on my vehicles. Friends/family, I use the best they can afford.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Anyone can throw a guarantee onto a product and people will buy it regardless of the quality. I have used a lot of guaranteed parts in the past and have always been disappointed. I now use only bendix or raybestos brand rotors whenever I do a brake job on my vehicles. Friends/family, I use the best they can afford.
that was a funny scene-and hilarious movie Kyle. good quote.

and i totally agree with your last statement too, since you definately get what you pay for, especially when you're talking about rotors & drums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are lifetime rotors better than 1 year?