Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Leaf spring delema! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/leaf-spring-delema-72460/)

Ugly_Monkey 07-22-2012 07:30 AM

Leaf spring delema!

So I got the sag... Like This "||(0" when it should be like this "||)0". (Tilt your head to the left silly. :p)

I got it bad I know, however with all the added weight in the rear (33" tire on 15" steel wheel on roof, box & battery, air system, roof basket, trail gear, hitch basket.) I am worried that if I just replace the springs with OEM springs I will still have sag. :(

What are my options? are there compatible springs that will hold more weight without standing too tall when unweighted? If I order custom springs, is there some kinda "alteration" I would want them to do to the OEM specs? I could add shackles; but do I really want to? Would air shocks help? etc.

Background: My rear is a ford 8.8 from a ~98 explorer. This axle has a 3.25" tube, so instead of using the superlift supplied riser ~1" bracket the axle is just under-overed which creates the rears 5-6" lift.

warthogdriver 07-22-2012 09:26 AM

this may work for you.
i had the same sag issue..so what i did was get a spring pack from the yard from a z85 blazer (100.00) then i took the largest leaf outta my original pack and cut the eyelets off, then added it to the yard pack and made a bastard pack that essentially also gave a a free add a leaf.
i think it did the job and then some...i have those autozone shackles double up and i had to take them in a notch to level the truck...i gained and inch if i had left it. now i like the raked look but it was a bit much.

abig84 07-22-2012 12:13 PM

what about those helper air bags. i have them on my pick up truck for towing and knocks the truck up like 2-3 inches if i inflate them all the way. but wouldnt recommend driving like that lol.

Ugly_Monkey 07-23-2012 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver (Post 531539)
this may work for you.
i had the same sag issue..so what i did was get a spring pack from the yard from a z85 blazer (100.00) then i took the largest leaf outta my original pack and cut the eyelets off, then added it to the yard pack and made a bastard pack that essentially also gave a a free add a leaf.
i think it did the job and then some...i have those autozone shackles double up and i had to take them in a notch to level the truck...i gained and inch if i had left it. now i like the raked look but it was a bit much.

Those are from a full-size blazer right? And your using the z85 pack but with the s10 spring added? were in the pack did you insert the s10 spring? You have shackles, would I need shackles for this to work?

97cherryblazer 07-23-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey (Post 531780)
Those are from a full-size blazer right? And your using the z85 pack but with the s10 spring added? were in the pack did you insert the s10 spring? You have shackles, would I need shackles for this to work?

Z85 is an option that some S-10's came with, and i believe he added the leaf he cut from his original pack in between the 1st and 2nd longest leafs of the pack he got from the yard.

Im also in your boat so im probably going to do the same thing he did.

warthogdriver 07-23-2012 03:00 PM

^^^ yes on all counts.
i dont believe you need shackles for this to work.