Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Leveling ZR2 suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer_YYC is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling ZR2 suspension?

Hey guys, I have a 2005 ZR2 and I am trying to get the vehicle to sit level. Right now my measurements from ground to the bottom of the fender flare are 36" in the front and 34" in the rear. I have tried adjusting the torsion bars but after backing the bolts completely off it has not moved. I am thinking since it has 200,000KM (125,000 miles) on it that maybe it is time for new struts. Do you guys think new struts would bring the back end back up? Should I replace the leaf springs as well? I'm new to the 4x4 and I'm not sure when leaf springs need replacing.

Thanks

Alex

Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

New shocks won't lift the back of the truck(save for air shocks). Your leaf springs are probably sagging. Replacing them would be your fix. With 125k miles replacing shocks would probably be in order too.

Springs support your weight, shocks dampen the rebound from the action of the spring.

S series trucks don't have struts

Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Or get some 2 inch longer shackles.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I just might have the shackles you need , I just have to come up with a price , they are 2 and 3 inch lift shackles brand new ....and I'm in Calgary ...which I believe you are also....You would have to pick up bolts as they did not come with.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Or an add a leaf will put a bit of life back in the leafs and give you lift also

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Personally I don't think shackles is the best option if the suspension is sagging. All you're doing is masking the problem of a tired suspension. I think either additional support to help the saggy leaf pack, or replacement is the better option.

If you find the ride to be soft, I'd second the suggestion of either an add-a-leaf. The saggy back-end is the back suspension just being tired. It's pretty common. I have a parts ZR2 with the same issue. If you decide to go with an add-a-leaf I'd suggest making your own by grabbing the main leaf from a leaf pack from somewhere like a pick-n-pull. Take the main leave and cut off the eyes so that the add-a-leaf is just shorter than your main leaf. This will give support for the full length and will lift the back end and firm up the ride (starting to sound like plastic surgery here). You'll probably end up with a bit stiffer ride that original. Some people (myself included) prefer a stiffer ride in a 4x4.

Going with a shorter add-a-leaf will work too, but the problem is that your main leaf may end up starting to reverse-curve into an "M" shape if it is very worn out. This is far from ideal.

The other option would be to replace the leaf pack entirely. This will also lift the back end back to factory height, while maintaining the factory ride. If you like how your Blazer rides now, this may be the best option.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member

Hey guys, sorry ti has taken me awhile to respond. I think I'm going to replace the leaf springs and all the struts and hopefully that should take care of it. Because at that point the entire suspension system in the front and back will be brand new! I'm thinking with 200K its probably time to replace the struts anyways. Any suggestions? I want to have the best ride quality I can get. I won't be doing much off roading in this thing anytime soon if ever, its my winter cruiser/second vehicle.

Thanks guys

Alex

Old 12-16-2017, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

By struts are you meaning shocks? These vehicles have no struts but they do have shocks.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
By struts are you meaning shocks? These vehicles have no struts but they do have shocks.
Yeah I mean Shocks

Old 12-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

My goal is just to get this thing level and have a nice smooth ride. Let me know if you have any suggestions for a good quality riding shock for front and back.