Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Replacing rear end gears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Kemper9388 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing rear end gears?

Hello folks, I have 1996 S-10 Blazer. I was driving it the other day and the rear end started smoking like crazy. I had it towed to my local shop and the mechanic said the rear end went. They want $1,000 to fix it. I found the parts I need for around $200. Therefore I'm going to fix it myself. My question is, is it something that I could do? I have a decent knowledge of mechanics. Are there and special tools that I would need? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Its definitely something you can do. I've only switched entire rear ends so I'm not sure if you would need any special tools. I'm sure a Gear Puller might be needed and you can rent those from Autozone.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Kemper9388 is on a distinguished road

Awsome, thank you. I'm hoping to start working on it this weekend.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Installing the gears isn't the issue. Setting them up for proper preload/backlash/all that fun jazz is the tough part (so I'm told/I've read). Most people (including myself) end up buying an entire used rear and swapping it out. I put new seals and bearings in the used rear before it went in. Still came out cheaper than paying someone to set up the gears in my existing rear.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Installing the gears isn't the issue. Setting them up for proper preload/backlash/all that fun jazz is the tough part (so I'm told/I've read). Most people (including myself) end up buying an entire used rear and swapping it out. I put new seals and bearings in the used rear before it went in. Still came out cheaper than paying someone to set up the gears in my existing rear.
Google is USUALLY your friend. You need to read up... I know from my old days that it's a PITA to set all those properly. Most guys ended up doing it 3 or 4 times before they got the gears right.
I do know Prussian Blue is essential
I ALSO suggest you buy an entire rear axle with proper gears.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I've done it. It's not hard with the proper tools. I had the entire rear axle out and on the workbench, though. And all of the tools available.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Google is USUALLY your friend. You need to read up... I know from my old days that it's a PITA to set all those properly. Most guys ended up doing it 3 or 4 times before they got the gears right.
I do know Prussian Blue is essential
I ALSO suggest you buy an entire rear axle with proper gears.
Prussian Blue the book?! Or the Neonazi Pop Duo? lol jk I know you mean the Permatex stuff.

I think just swapping entire rear ends would be easier... at least that's what I did. Although it was a PITA to get them U-bolts off. lol Busted all of my knuckles.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Swapping gears can be done at home but requires the right tools. By the time you buy them you will have way more in it than just buying a used rear for $3-400. Also if you have never done it before or have somebody with you that has I wouldn't suggest it. Doesn't take much error or time to ruin $200 worth of gears and you start over again.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

you could always go to a local junk yard and pull a whole axle, then you would only have the bleed the brakes and hook up the drive shaft. only issue with that is its used and you may face another blown rear end