Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Lockers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Starting Member
matt9589 is on a distinguished road
Question Lockers???

Im not to familier with what exactly a locker is but i have an idea...It improves traction corect? Sorry if this is dumb but im no mechanic but am handy with tools! Anyway, I was thinking I could use a new locker. What should I be looking for? How is installation?? is it worth the price??? someone please shed some light on this for me

Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Thanks! now I know!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Beginning Member
Michaelwiseguy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by matt9589
Thanks! now I know!
I like funny guys too, but I didn't know either, even though I'm a machinist of 30 years and been doing general work on my own vehicles my whole life.

When I don't know an answer to a question, I usually find the answer one way or another.

I think my rear differential on the 2001 has an "Ox Locker" on it, but I'm not sure. I'm still trying to figure out why they call it an "Ox" Locker though.

Cable operated mechanism as is employed on the "Ox Locker."

Locking Differential
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

^NICE!!!!

anyway matt, i havent been on this forum for all that long, but last time we got to talking about lockers it started a HUGE war.
so to answer your question in a way that i think that everyone can agree with. some of these blazers come with a gov-lock. the RPO code is G80. and some of them come with an open diff. heres the break down that makes the most sense to me.

G80: Open diff that can lock at low speeds after certain criteria are met. becomes an complete open diff at speeds above 25-30mph. i think of these as a limited slip that can lock when the criteria are met.
that brings me to the next one

Limited Slip/Posi-traction: limited slip and posi diffs are designed to "limit" the tendency of open differential to send power to a wheel that lacks traction and redirect the power to a degree to the other wheel of the axle. These will send power to both wheels equally when traveling straight, however when one wheel spins due to a lack of traction, the differential will automatically provide torque to the other wheel with traction. neither one of these will not provide 100% lock up of the rear end in extreme situations such as when a wheel completely looses traction.

Lockers: a mechanism that allows left and right wheels to "lock" relative to each other and turn at the same speed regardless of which axle has traction and regardless of how little traction a slipping wheel has. This means traction can be sent to a wheel that may be planted firmly on the ground while the other wheel of the axle is completely off the ground.

Last edited by Twip; 02-02-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Starting Member

THANK YOU! Ive been googling it also. I gotta see what i have. I know its not g80 as only the wheel with less traction will spin. never both. Looking to upgrade it to do better offroad and in snow. Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

THANK YOU! Ive been googling it also. I gotta see what i have. I know its not g80 as only the wheel with less traction will spin. never both. Looking to upgrade it to do better offroad and in snow. Thanks again!

Look in the glovebox for the code G80 to see if you have it or not. But if only one tire spins you likely have and open rear diff (nothing).

Twip had a pretty good explanation, just a couple things to add.

Limited slips start off giving equal power to each wheel until there is too high of a force differential between the two back wheels that it can no longer provide traction to both wheels. The clutch packs start to slip and act as an open differential letting only the wheel with less traction turn.

G80's start off as an open differential. They have springs and weights inside that so once there is a difference of so many RPM between both rear wheels, it will automatically lock both together to give full power to both wheels. Once up to that 25-30 MPH, there are more weights and spring that will dissengage the locker, becoming an open differential again.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
Look in the glovebox for the code G80 to see if you have it or not. But if only one tire spins you likely have and open rear diff (nothing).

Limited slips start off giving equal power to each wheel until there is too high of a force differential between the two back wheels that it can no longer provide traction to both wheels. The clutch packs start to slip and act as an open differential letting only the wheel with less traction turn.

G80's start off as an open differential. They have springs and weights inside that so once there is a difference of so many RPM between both rear wheels, it will automatically lock both together to give full power to both wheels. Once up to that 25-30 MPH, there are more weights and spring that will dissengage the locker, becoming an open differential again.
Thanks. Im looking to get a low speed locker for offroad that is ok for a daily driver. Any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jamaroon

i guess i should have thrown that in there Jamaroon. i would say that we both got it covered pretty good.

Thanks. Im looking to get a low speed locker for offroad that is ok for a daily driver. Any suggestions?
Matt, you can check the codes in the glove box to see if you have a G80 RPO code on the sticker. if you do, it could either be broken, or you are not meeting the criteria to lock it up. if you dont have one, there are better, stronger options out there that will live longer and be less likely to break. your biggest friend when looking into something like this is research, research, research.

if you have a question, ask it. you dont what to spend $700 on something that isnt going to live if you decided to do a 100ft long burn out.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Twip and Jamaroon. I checked my glovebox and I do not have the code. been looking around and found this one-
Power Trax Part 1931-LR - GM 7.625in. Lock Right Locker

Quick Reply: Lockers???